User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cage Size

Quakerella: "I think the amount of time the bird spends in the cage will have a lot to do with the size that is required."

I completely agree! During the school year, he will have to be in his cage more as I'm gone from 6:30 - 5 or 6. weekdays.During the summer I don't work, so he'll have much more out of cage time.

I can't wait to bring him home!
    She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing “yes” in the sky.
    Monique Duval

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    They can be such wonderful little friends. Very large personalities for such a tiny little creature.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Looking forward to the photos
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-08-2017)

I'm more excited about the little lovebird as the hours pass! I went and bought his food, one of those spiral ropes (My macaw loved those!), and a bath tub with a mirror that hooks to the side of the cage! Then someone with a very large cage let me know it's still available---it's 30" x 18" x 55"----only $70!! My little lovebird (I'm thinking of naming him/her Stevie. If it's a girl, for Stevie Nicks (I LOVE her!!), if it's a boy, for Stevie Wonder (I also LOVE him!)
    She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing “yes” in the sky.
    Monique Duval

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (02-08-2017), Quakerella (02-07-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

That is wonderful, can't wait to see little Stevie

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    on your little Stevie. I too am looking forward to some pics.

9. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (02-08-2017)

I'm sad to say, getting Stevie fell through. I guess there was someone else who wanted her and could pick her up sooner.
    Although I'm really let down, I'm not devastated. My first bird of choice is really a cockatiel. The one I had for 15 years was such a sweetheart! He talked a little andcwhistled the theme from The Andy Griffith Show, imitated our microwave, smoke detector and alarm clock! He was very affectionate. It's been several years since he passed, I was never ready for another.
    So, I'll be looking and hopefully find one nearby.
    Monique Duval

Super Moderator

Parrots

Oh that's too bad Rachel, we all know how excited you were. If your first choice is a cockatiel, I think waiting to find the right one is a good idea.

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-10-2017)

Oh my gosh! This has been a crazy day! I was telling a co-worker this morning about not getting Stevie after all. She knew the story of my sweet boy Rio and how excited I was about getting Stevie.
    When I finished telling her how disappointed I was that Stevie's adoption fell through, she replied, "Oh! This is wonderful!"
    I said, "Excuse me??"
    She went on to say that she had told her neighbor the story about Rio and how heartbroken I was and that I was wanting to adopt a smaller bird. Her neighbor told her that a relative of hers was looking for a new home for a cockatiel that had belonged to a grandparent. By the time my co-worker saw me on Monday, I told her about Stevie and how excited I was about getting her, so she didn't mention the cockatiel.
    Her neighbor's relative, after hearing about everything, allowed me to adopt Polly (not my favorite name) for a small fee---cage, travel cage, toys, dishes and lots of food included! I picked Polly (now named Woodstock) this afternoon!!
    Now for the crazy part! Shortly after dinner, I got a text from Stevie's owner-----the lady who was going to pick him up this morning never showed! I texted, "I'm sorry, I already found another bird." Not 10 minutes later, my phone rang. It was Stevie's owner, and she was obviously crying. She begged me to buy Stevie, said that when her boyfriend found out that the lady never came and got her, he said that if Stevie is still at their place when he gets home from work tomorrow afternoon he's going to either a) Take Stevie outside and let her loose, or b) Flush her down the toilet!!!
    The girl said she's at work by the time he gets home, and she thinks he'll really do it.
    Well, guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Maybe there's a reason this all happened, I don't know. But I do know I don't want to chance that little lovebird being harmed! What is WRONG with people?!?!
    This reminds me of the time a student on my bus told me his mom was going to throw all his hamsters in the dumpster if he didn't find homes for them! I told him I would take them, that I'd pick them up the next afternoon. He got on the bus tge next morning and said, "It's too late to get the hamsters. By the time I got home from school, my mom said she had set them loose outside." I felt physically ill---it was going to get way below freezing that night! Sometimes I just HATE humans!!
    Monique Duval

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Gee, it seems then that you're a bird mom again (times 2), Rachel . It's funny how things work out at times. Congrats on your new additions!

As for those hideously insensitive, grotesquely cruel people you've mentioned... they have pathologically flawed minds. Their mental wiring is absent the very important mechanism that generates empathy. They're selfish and usually greedy. And they're often abusive in other ways. Quite frankly, they're dangerous individuals. I consider them to be afflicted with a form of sociopathy. Unfortunately their numbers seem frighteningly high among our society. And you're not alone; they literally make me sick to think about, too!

Thanks for updating us on your bird situation
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!