User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cage Size

Cage Size

Hi! I'm a new member, but not new to exotic bird parenting. I've had cockatiels, finches, parakeets and a macaw.
    Right now I have no pet birds but am considering getting one. My question: I have a cage that is 19 1/2" wide and deep and 24" or 25" tall (not including the unused space at the bottom of the cage). My last cockatiel used for 14 years quite happily (with lots of out of cage time).
    What species of bird do you think would be happiest in this size cage?
    Thank You!!

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi Rachel1967 and welcome to the forum. The size of cage you have presently may be adequate for parrotlettes, jmo. As we learn more about what our parrots require, it seems that cages should be as large as is safe for the parrot. I believe this has more to do with allowing room for your parrot to forage, explore and be able to exercise by flapping it's wings. This makes for an emotionally secure parrot. For birds that are out of the cage a majority of their day, the cage could be smaller as it would be used more for feeding and sleeping. This is just my opinion. My canaries are in flight cages larger than the cage you describe so I am a little bit crazy about this topic...lol
    Please stay and let us know what you choose as your next feathered companion. We love pictures and hearing about everyone's parrots.

4. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (02-04-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Rachel
    I read in other posts that you have recently given up a macaw. Birds need stability in their lives and can live a very long time. I trust that you are prepared to give your next bird love for all of its life. Have you a set up where a bird can exercise safely, away from your dogs?
    Here is a picture of Casper, our Blue fronted Amazon. We don't own him, we are his guardians and he chooses to stay with us.

Casper sleeping in the garden by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 02-04-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-05-2017), kendrafitz (02-05-2017)

Hi Dragonlady2 and Casper's 2nd best friend! I'm a bit hurt by the statement "I hope you're prepared to give your next bird love for all of it's life."
    I had all of my birds throughout my life for their lifespan---except for my macaw. But I DEFINATELY NEVER stopped loving him. I am dying inside knowing that because I loved him enough to let him go to a home where someone was more able to give him the attention a larger parrot requires, he may be in a situation where he's frightened and ignored.
    I was completely willing, even BEGGING this man to sell him back to me for MORE money that he'd paid me. I didn't want my sweet boy to go from home to home as so many large parrots do.
    That being said, if I do aquire a new feathered friend, it will most certainly be for life. And it will get plenty of attention and out of cage time. While a large parrot requires quite a bit if room to play outside of their cage, a smaller bird can be quite happy perching on a shoulded, playing on a playtop or even in a playpen ( which I ccan purchase a pack n play or a doggy type playpen for that). Rio would have shedded a pack n play and he was not allowed on my shoulder. So many times he'd get on the floor and march around like a gestapo after the dogs. For the most part, they ran away and hid, but it was a potentially dangerous situation.
    In spite of all that, I woukd take my boy back even ten years down the road, even 20. I apologize if I seem harsh or angry, but I am going to be hurting over this for years to come. Every blue and gold I see at a pet store, swap meet or bird fair is going to stop my heart---and break it again when I rush over only to see its2 not him. I'm crying now as I type this, not so much for me, but for Rio because I completely failed him.

Parrots

Sorry if I came on a bit strong, I just hate to read about people buying or selling and things go wrong.

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-05-2017)

It's ok, I know where you're coming from. I'm just very sensitive right now. I'll have to try to imagine him in a loving home.
    She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing “yes” in the sky.
    Monique Duval

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (02-05-2017)

I may just wait awhile before bringing a new bird into my life. There's a very adorable female parrotlet someone nearby has for sale, reasonably priced and handraised. I don't know if I'm emotionally ready and the cage I have was my cockatiel's and the bars are 3/4" apart---way too big for a parrotlet. So there's the additional expense for that. I just need to do some soul-searching.
    She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing “yes” in the sky.
    Monique Duval

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-05-2017), Lady (02-05-2017), plax (02-05-2017)

Parrots

Maybe you will hear of a suitable bird that needs a loving home, perhaps because its owner has passed on, and comes equipped with its own cage and stuff. Just ask around in the right sort of places - church groups, knitting groups and other community gatherings. Word of mouth is much better than advertisements I think.

15. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-05-2017)

Well, I have decided to get a sweet little peachfaced lovebird! I've never had one, and this one is tame and reasonably priced. He will come with a small cage, 16" x 23" x 16" H. I'm going to go ahead and purchase a larger cage (the cage I already have is unsuitable, bar spacing is 3/4"). I found a flight cage for $42. 26" L x 14" W x 36" H. OR, I can really splurge and get a BIG cage: 31-inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide and 53-inch high! $112 including 2 toys and FREE shipping! Decisions, decisions......What do you think?
    Monique Duval

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    You are right about the bar spacing, very important so they don't get their little heads stuck.

I have a peach faced lovebird, actually it is my son's. He calls him Quaggy short for Quagmeyer. He has a small cage, but the door is always open so he has free flight. He spends most of his time on top of the cage or on the playstand.

I think the amount of time the bird spends in the cage will have a lot to do with the size that is required.

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-06-2017), kendrafitz (02-06-2017), Lady (02-08-2017)