User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Government Removes All Animal Welfare Info From Its Site

Hybrid View

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

U.S. Government Removes All Animal Welfare Info From Its Site

He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I am sickened by everything that is going on in the world right now. I don't even know how to put it into words. They call us the "smart" "superior" species, but it is at the point that we are destroying everything we possibly can. I am sick of the cruelty to birds, animals, humans etc. and for what. Money. People don't seem to care anymore about health, safety, love, friendship or other people in general. I don't mean everyone, but in general. We can be ruthless, mean, and cruel. We teach our kids to grow up to be respectful and respected. Then they are lost in the real world because that is just not the way it is. The truth is hidden or twisted and we only know and hear what "they" want us to. Sorry, I am rambling because I am frustrated. Been a very long hard week. BLAH

3. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-04-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I don't consider what you've described to be rambling, Rosalyn. Everything you've stated is accurate and relevant... not to mention terribly important. I agree with you on all points. Our world is incredibly hostile and humanity seems generally apathetic. In most cases all we can do is assess the horror. Reasonable solutions are virtually impossible to implement because of the collective resistance. I'm sickened as well

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

5. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I started to read the document and had to stop. I had little understanding of apparently what is an "acceptable" number of animals still being used in studies and trials. What a disgusting world this represents...I am off to find some happy stories to bring some balance back.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-04-2017), Quakerella (02-06-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I apologize. However, I'm not able to ignore the horror stories concerning human treatment of animals. I feel they are too important

9. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (02-06-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am not criticizing, just commenting. I also think it is important to share information like this. It makes me more aware and I am one to boycott products.

11. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (02-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    So what I'm understanding here is that we can no longer go to the site to see what is taking place but have to individually fill out a form for the release of information under the FOIA. This is not transparency....

I did however find this site but the current report is for the year 2015 https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our..._Annual_Report

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    So what I'm understanding here is that we can no longer go to the site to see what is taking place but have to individually fill out a form for the release of information under the FOIA. This is not transparency....

I did however find this site but the current report is for the year 2015 https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our..._Annual_Report
    One of the fears is that we don't know how far they will go. Our new president has made a pledge and signed an Executive Order that mandates removal of two existing federal agency regulations for every new regulation implemented - see link below. Many of the federal regulations to be eliminated concern our global environment. I'm very worried that the current administration may mandate repeal of important animal protections with this new practice.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ion-eo/515007/

While I feel ambivalent concerning what may be in store for ESA recognition/action in our country (specifically because of what it could mean for ESA list pets already living with American families), I know that some of the other environmental and animal-related laws certainly protect animals from suffering and abuse, as well as from poaching, as well as from disease, as well as from decimation of their natural habitats. I somehow don't think that animal species are going to be one of the new administration's major concerns.

FOIA requests may become one of the only ways we can learn more.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Deregulation is all about saving money. Flood them with FOIA requests until they meltdown and realise it is costing them more than before.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-05-2017), PlaxMacaws (02-04-2017)

Parrots

Here's another article on the vanishing animal protection/welfare information:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2caad099969f

This is truly a controversial topic because some of the effects from the protection regulations can be quite bad while others are desperately needed. Toward the end, this article mentions said controversy and cites some who oppose animal rights groups and protection regulations.