User Tag List

Thread: my view on correctable health/safety risks

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)

my view on correctable health/safety risks

The following is intended to clarify some of my feelings and convictions as a member of our companion parrot enthusiast community...

I, for one, feel committed to comment on possible health and/or safety risks relating to our members' birds whenever I notice them. And I will do so irrespective of whose posts may suggest the presence of such risks, and irrespective of the potential for my comments to erode member participation on this message board. I am hopeful that each of you will make the same commitment to yourselves and join me in speaking out if/when doing so is called for. Moreover, I hope that our members will freely comment on the existence of any health or safety risks concerning my own birds that I may be unaware of.

Thanks for reading my statement.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (01-26-2017), Lady (01-27-2017), Mare (01-29-2017), Quakerella (01-25-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I do believe the reason we are all here is to talk about our loving parrots, but also to learn from others. I don't take offence to being advised of a possible safety issue that may jeopardize the life and health of my birds. I believe we are only trying to help each. I encourage people to advise me of things I may not notice or may not realize are a potential safety issue. Between research and talking to others I believe this is how we learn.

4. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (01-26-2017), kendrafitz (01-25-2017), Lady (01-27-2017), Mare (01-29-2017), PlaxMacaws (01-25-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Tony, is this in response to yesterday's conversation? If it is, I did not take offense. I was glad for the advice. I feel pretty much the same as the statement made by Rosalyn above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-26-2017), Lady (01-27-2017), PlaxMacaws (01-25-2017), Quakerella (01-25-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Tony, is this in response to yesterday's conversation? If it is, I did not take offense. I was glad for the advice. I feel pretty much the same as the statement made by Rosalyn above.
    The answer is that it was partly inspired by our discussion in your thread yesterday. But it's a general conviction that I have long held. While you might not take offense to such things, which I appreciate, others occasionally may. I mostly wanted to put it out there because I believe it's important.

Thanks Kendra!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-26-2017), kendrafitz (01-25-2017), Lady (01-27-2017), Quakerella (01-25-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I agree with the opinions expressed in this thread and am always looking for ways to ensure that my home is safe for my birds. It can only serve to help everyone if we point out potential dangers when we see them.

10. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-28-2017), kendrafitz (01-26-2017), Lady (01-27-2017), Mare (01-29-2017), PlaxMacaws (01-26-2017), Quakerella (01-26-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow, this is so right, if we can't help each other and our birds then I don't know who can. I too, am glad to hear things in any thread that points out possible risks to our birds. Not only do we learn and take better care of our birds but yes, others who don't even post will learn. I know we have sticky's about hazards but even those don't go into great detail about everything. I actually did some more research due to the thread that mentioned VOC's and learned a little more about them, things I didn't know before.
    This is one of the articles http://www.theparrotclub.org/safetyc..._Wallpaper.pdf
    Last edited by Lady; 01-27-2017 at 01:29 AM.

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-27-2017), kendrafitz (01-27-2017), Mare (01-29-2017), PlaxMacaws (01-27-2017), Quakerella (01-27-2017)