User Tag List

Thread: This is UNTHINKABLE to me!

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)

This is UNTHINKABLE to me!

If you do any business with the poultry industry, for example, here’s a story that concerns you. From the Washington Post’s October 27 news pages, it’s a straight dose of truth-telling that reveals, among much else, how one form of cruelty can breed others, in a process shrouded from public inquiry by the very distastefulness of the details. The headline, “New technique may prevent the gruesome deaths of billions of male chicks,” hardly elicits eagerness to learn about the current technique. What we might wish were some grotesque outlier in livestock agriculture is, however, a sample of standard, everyday, and indeed worldwide practice: “Amid the recent, growing opposition to tightly caged hens, another practice in the poultry industry has drawn less notice: All male chicks born at egg farm hatcheries are slaughtered the day they hatch. This is typically done by shredding them alive, in what amounts to a blender.”

Just like that, and for the unfortunate ones over breakfast, Post readers were informed that for the sake of making eggs, “billions of newborn chicks,” because they are not bred to grow fast enough to be killed for meat, are shredded alive, or else gassed or suffocated. Egg producers call the process “maceration,” doubtless because “chick shredding” didn’t have quite the right ring of science and normality. They borrowed the term from wine-makers — apparently figuring, hey, what does it really matter whether you’re doing it with grapes or to living creatures? If it were some guy in his backyard “macerating” a handful of live baby birds, instead of a supposedly respectable global enterprise doing it to billions of them, witnesses would call the police, who would call in the psych unit. Never mind what kind of industry can get away with such a thing. What kind of industry would even think of it?

The new technique, in case you’re wondering, promises to identify the gender of chicks well before hatching, and we’re assured it will be adopted when refined and brought to commercial scale in maybe five or so years, or about 20 or 30 billion chicks from now. Progress? Sure. Most anything is bound to be an improvement when the starting point is madness.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ampaign=buffer
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I had read about this. There was a video showing workers tossing baby chicks in a bin. I need to have the "graphic video" warning because I won't click on anything that says this. Made me sick to see it and it is hard to erase from my mind. I am hoping that the new method in identifying the sex of the chick in the egg is successful. In the meantime, I don't understand how this isn't classified as abuse and is a chargeable offence.
    Unfortunately, there is a big market for chickens.

Parrots

I can relate and am in total agreement with you, Helena

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I saw that video many years ago and it still haunts me today. It was one of the most horrifying things I have ever seen.
    There has been a lot of controversy over the poultry business for years regarding the raising and killing of these little birds. They are not treated like living animals, but more like garbage.
    I really don't know if the general public is aware of what is happening, and if they are why aren't there more people trying to stop the tremendous abuse endured by these creatures.

I assume if they had four legs and a tail it would be front page news and stopped immediately.

Parrots

Rosalyn: I haven't seen the video and I don't want to! If I viewed something like that I would be indefinitely haunted by visions of horror, like yourself. I'm sorry that you ever had to see what you saw. Arguably, I suppose, it is important for everyone to see what happens. But I still wouldn't be able to force myself to watch it. The description of the process is horrible enough for me.

Sadly, I'm sure you're correct about the practice standing a better chance of becoming banned if the victims were furry mammals instead of an avian species. However, the meat industry also treats mammals quite horrifically when they are being cultivated as food sources. What is wrong with the bulk of humanity? I believe we are the cruelest, most insensitive species as a whole

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-29-2017), Lady (01-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    The list of things we humans do that are horrendous is very long. It is one of the reasons I have to hold tight to my Faith.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-29-2017), PlaxMacaws (01-31-2017), Quakerella (01-30-2017)