User Tag List

Thread: My budgie needs a larger cage

Parrots

Lexy (a blue budgie)

My budgie needs a larger cage

Hello everyone,
    I am 16 so I still live with my parents. I own a blue budgie named Lexy who is very tame and sweet. Of course, I researched budgies quite a lot before buying Lexy (from a breeder in London) and consequently came across the question "What cage must I buy" very often. I have heard and read that budgies prefer wider cages because they prefer to fly from perch to perch and find it difficult to fly in a very tall cage. This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberta-Lot...cockatiel+cage

My parents said it will be absolutely fine, so I said if this is the largest cage they wanted to buy- alright.

It is an OK cage, but from reading on other forums such as Avian Avenue I decided that it would be worth upgrading Lexy into a much larger cage such as this: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/.../montana/49172

Well, now my parents are the problem. Lexy is a very nice budgie and he sits on our fingers, on the computer, is out basically all day since my mum is always home, and enjoys playing with his many toys. He has a lot of toys, and I generally keep 2-3 in his cage at a time. However, if I upgrade him to that larger one, I will be able to have lots more toys available to entertain him (Lexy is very clever and likes destroying paper )
    Overall, my parents really like the budgie and often play with him. We feed Lexy a mix of TRILL budgie seed, Harrison's pellets (which he never likes!), canary egg food and fruit/veggies. He has already had one of his annual vet check-ups too at our nearest exotic surgery (the vet was very good and advised a lot of things too).
    I never really talked to my parents much about the Madeira flight cage (linked before) but it IS expensive (120 pounds) and I will have to save up my own money for it, like I did for the original budgie supplies.
    Any ideas on what arguments I can present to convince my parents to let me get the Madeira flight cage?
    Thanks,
    Paulina

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-11-2017), Lady (01-12-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hi Paulina. Welcome to Precisely Parrots! I'm glad that you and Lexy have joined us

The things that come to mind as far as points to present to your parents, might be : 1) The Madiera cage is of a much sturdier construction than your current cage (therefore it should last much longer). 2) It would presumably be far more convenient to maintain with its externally-accessible water and food bays. And 3, Lexy may maintain better overall health if he is given more room to exercise and play while locked within his cage (especially if you're anticipating a significant amount of in-cage time for him). But you may not want to cite benefit #3 if he will be enjoying plenty of flight time out of his cage each day while you and/or your family members are there to supervise him.

By the way, I think you are fortunate in that your parents truly enjoy Lexy's presence and have been interactive with him

Please hang around if you like... some of our other members may have thoughts to share with you as well.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-11-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), Quakerella (01-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome, Paulina. Budgies are awesome birds. Lexi is fortunate to have you looking out for him.
    I agree with all of the suggestions Tony has given you.
    If you are paying for the cage, what objections would your parents have to you purchasing it?

6. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (01-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Paulina,
    so glad you've joined us! Wow, both cages look nice. I like the suggestions you received from Plax, especially that Lexy would be happier and healthier. Cages sometimes are an issue if they aren't the correct size and yes, quite an investment as far as money. Have you thought about measuring out the area where you would like to keep the new cage? Would it be an inconvenience to your Mom? What would happen to the old cage? Do you cover Lexy at night? Will you be needing a new cover as well?
    Who cleans the cage? Maybe if Lexy had to be in the cage more often then a new cage might be in order, but since Lexy has mostly free range to fly around the house it could be a reason your parents don't think it's needed at this time.

It has taken me a very long time to save and pick out Lady's new cage, but she really needed one, as her current one has begun to wear and rust. I think you could keep saving your money for it and as we discuss more options maybe we can see more reasons that would help you convince your folks Lexy would be so much happier in the wider cage.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-12-2017), PlaxMacaws (01-12-2017), Quakerella (01-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Paulina, welcome

All great suggestions. Health and happiness of Lexy would be the one that would get me to give in. It is also a very pretty cage so it would look nice anywhere it was put.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (01-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (01-12-2017)

Parrots

Lexy (a blue budgie)
    Hello,
    Thanks for all your replies. So far I have enough to pay for around half of the cage (gradually saving up) and I think the main reason my parents don't want a new cage is the 1) it is expensive and 2) Lexy is out for at least 1-2 hours each day with me and around 1-2 hours with my mum.
    I know it isn't so critical, but indeed the cage we have right now is rather flimsy and one side isn't overly stable. I clean Lexy's cage (a new layer of lining every 1-3 days) and I have already found and measured out a place for the cage in my room (my parents bought an extension for the bookshelf, so now it doesn't take up too much space and the drawer is relocated in the living room). I cover Lexy's cage at night with a light silk-type scarf, and will probably need to buy a cage cover for the Madeira cage.
    Thank you for all your ideas.
    Paulina (and Lexy too, who is at the moment perching on the computer )

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-18-2017), Lady (01-20-2017), Quakerella (01-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Awesome news. Thanks for the update. Please post some pics of Lexi in his new cage. We love seeing pictures of happy birdies.

14. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (01-18-2017)