User Tag List

Thread: Lovebird Breeding Season

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash

Lovebird Breeding Season

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this on but I have some concerns with my Nash and his crazy hormones!

so I honestly could not find the specific time of year that lovebirds typically mate, but it seems most parrots do around august- december

My Nash has been a hormonal rampage for what seems like the entire time I have had him. I remove toys from his cage weekly because he starts to hump or regurgitate on them, I have to keep a super close eye on him when he's out or he will hump something... I just don't know what to do! I know I post all the time about this but I need tips to get him to stop this spring!

I cannot remember a time when Nash was not hormonal, I truly think he has been the entire year and a half that I've had him.. so what am I doing wrong? Does he need more calcium or less or more veggies or more sleep or what!? I'm going crazy trying to calm him down.

When he's hormonal he's ANGRY with everything and everyone. If I catch him humping something and try to stop it he will literally fly across the room just to bite me.. Whenever he is not acting hormonal ( for the short, short period of the day when he is too tired to ) he is a really sweet bird and will play and cuddle and just be a great bird, but for the times he is hormonal and about an hour past his last "hump-session" he is a nightmare with wings!

I hope someone can give me some tips on their experiences so Nash and I can grow and be better companions to one another....
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with Nash. It can be very frustrating.

Try making sure Nash has a full 12 hours sleep in a very quiet, dark area. Light is one of the worst things for a hormonal bird. Too much light will mimic the spring/summer seasons which will cause hormones to go on a rampage.

Move his toys every other day, at least the toys he becomes close to. This will cause him to lose a little of the comfort that is required for mating and nesting.

If he is seems to be worse with one certain person, try limiting that persons exposure to him until hes settles down a little.

Just a couple of ideas Savannah, I hope they help.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), lolsavannahh (01-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    A couple of things come to mind Savannah, try to reduce his protein. Less nuts, nutriberries, pellets and more fresh foods if possible. He should also get 10 to 12 hours of sleep and in darkness. I think you mentioned that his cage is in your room? It may be one of the contributing factors to his being hormonal unless you are going to bed at 7pm....lol.
    Temperature might also be contributing if it is too hot.
    I hope you are able to get Nash settled, poor little guy and poor you. No fun for either of you.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (01-12-2017), lolsavannahh (01-09-2017), Quakerella (01-09-2017)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    thank you guys! I will start feeding differently and make sure he is in bed by 6 or 7!

He's been good about his veggies recently, so increasing that should be no problemo for him! I will keep you updated and if you have more suggestions I'm dyin to hear them!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017)