User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cage introduction

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

New cage introduction

Hi everyone,

As you know I have been searching out cages for sometime. Well, we finally have one on the way and I'm wondering if you would share your experience on how you went about introducing a new cage to your bird.

Did you just let them watch you set it up? Did they climb, fly or step right onto it? Did you set it up then let them see it and just watch or did you need to encourage them to get them to go to it? What did you put inside? Did you use new and old toys so your bird would see familiar items as to show it is a safe place? I have been reading all the threads on this Forum about cages but still am not sure how others introduced their bird to the new cage. Okay maybe I'm overthinking things but I know my girl and she takes time to warm up to new things that I put in her cage so I don't want the transition to be difficult for her.

Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-06-2017), Mare (01-07-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Congrats on picking out the new cage, I can imagine you are excited.

When I purchased the new cage for Yoshi and Rainbow they were there when we set it up. I used all new natural wood perches and food and water dishes, but I did put in their favourite toys along with a few new ones. I also put in a new treat cup with fruit. They flew around it a few times, then landed on it. It didn't take them long to go in and investigate. I also put the new cage in the same spot as the old one.

I think having a few of the familiar items makes them feel more comfortable and safe like "home".

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-06-2017), Lady (01-08-2017), Mare (01-07-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am with Rosalyn. A mix of new and old toys and letting the cage sit there for a while so Lady gets used to it.
    My one negative experience happened with my CB conure. I got him a bigger cage and I put the toys in the new cage exactly where they were in the old one. In about 2 weeks he had plucked his belly and legs and was starting on his back. I gave him back his old cage and he stopped plucking. He obviously didn't like the change or extra room. He is still in his smaller cage to this day and hasn't plucked again.

I am sure Lady will enjoy her new digs. Don't forget to post a pic!

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (01-08-2017), Mare (01-07-2017), Quakerella (01-06-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I hope Lady enjoys her new digs, lucky girl! With my cockatoos, life and change means ADVENTURE! Sassy, Amigo and I'm finding, Shaggy, are/were always up for anything new. I have a friend with an African Grey and this bird does not accept change, I've gotten more hand-me-down toys because of this

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-07-2017), Lady (01-08-2017), Quakerella (01-07-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Thanks Ladies,

I'm very excited and am hoping that she will enjoy the extra room. My hubby and I have been talking about it and think we are going to wheel her out of the room in her current cage, build the new one and set it in place. I might keep it covered for a day or so and uncover it little by little till I'm sure she is not afraid. Today I have cleared space so both cages can fit in the same room. Once we build it I don't think it will be able to fit out the doorway as it is 39"w with the seed guard. The estimated delivery date is 1/11-13th which gives me time to purchase some new toys and thinking about a cover.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-08-2017), plax (01-08-2017), Quakerella (01-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Sounds like a perfect plan. Hope to see some pics when it arrives.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), plax (01-09-2017)

When I got a new playstand for Jody years ago I set it up with her on me and she was all over it before I was done.

Macaws always want to be in the thick of things and if she is on you while you are putting it together, you might find her climbing all over it before it is together just because they have to check things out.

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), plax (01-09-2017), Quakerella (01-09-2017)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Last christmas I got Nash a new cage 4x the size of one he was in and when it was time for him to go in... he just happily crawled into his new perch in the cage and chilled for a bit. He wasn't flighted at the time, but did not seem to mind very much. It took him a few days to seem to really settle in, but I gave him lots of treats and talked to him through the cage bars a lot... Best of luck!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

16. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), plax (01-09-2017), Quakerella (01-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Thanks everyone. The cage is here and built. This weekend we will introduce it to her and I hope to get some good pics of her reaction to it!

18. The following 2 users like this post:

plax (01-12-2017), Quakerella (01-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Well what a relief, she took to the new cage right away when we revealed it to her. Hope the pics I have are small enough to add.
    Attachment 4779

The first thing she did was take a bath. The bowls in the new large cage are much bigger, she took full advantage and hopped right into the one filled half way with water and started her saturday morning bath.
    Last edited by Lady; 01-14-2017 at 10:03 PM.