User Tag List

Thread: A Very Popular Parrot Species At Grave Risk

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

A Very Popular Parrot Species At Grave Risk

African Grey Parrot: In December 2016, the International Union of Concerned Naturalists revealed that 11 percent of newly discovered bird species were already threatened and changed the status of others, such as the African Grey Parrot, from "vulnerable" to "endangered." Highly intelligent and capable of mimicking human speech, the African Grey Parrot's population has shrunk by as much as 99 percent in some places because of habitat loss and trapping. Perhaps the most famous member of this species was Alex, the subject of intelligence studies at Harvard and Brandeis universities who, when he died in 2007, knew more than 100 English words.

From: http://www.motherjones.com/environme...-to-watch-2017
    IUCN Red List assessments also reveal that some of the world's most popular birds may soon disappear in the wild if appropriate action isn't taken. Iconic species, such as the African grey parrot (Psittacus erithacus) – a prized pet with the ability to mimic human speech – are facing extinction in the wild due to unsustainable trapping and habitat loss. Native to central Africa, the grey parrot has seen its conservation status deteriorate from Vulnerable to Endangered. A study led by BirdLife International discovered that in some parts of the continent numbers of grey parrots have declined by as much as 99%.

My concern (based upon what is happening):

There is no question that man has ravaged the animal kingdom. Many (if not all) proposed solutions to dwindling species populations seem unworkable due to a lack of global unity. The remaining option seems to be enactment of legislation that threatens to impose unthinkable devastation upon protected species already in captivity as loving pets, certainly along with their current owners. Such a horrific outcome might easily stem from the sheer ignorance and apathy among protection body organizations and lawmakers concerning the potential consequences that banning various species from general possession without including a grandfather clause may impose. Just to be perfectly clear, I am speaking of the potential for forced, state-sanctioned euthanasia upon existing beloved pets of certain species. Without a grandfather clause, and with no prearranged government facilities and the necessary funding available to house and maintain the number of protected/endangered pets already in captivity, it follows that, if confiscated, the destruction of these animals may ensue. I can only hope that the avian community (as well as other species supporting groups) will quickly structure themselves and organize the needed strategies to fight against imposition of this very devastating, and very possible outcome. Please don't think it can never occur!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-05-2017), Lady (01-06-2017), Quakerella (01-05-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow, this is very concerning in every way. I sure hope a grandfather clause comes into play and laws are made to keep the situation under control for those that are devastating their habitats without thought. I know we all agree on how brutal the loss of parrots can be when they are inhumanly taken from their wild homes. If only we, as the human species would learn how to take care of our world and all that is within.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-06-2017), plax (01-06-2017), Quakerella (01-06-2017)

The ESA laws that have passed do not have any sort of Grandfather clause in them.

The next one up next is the HY which seem to have a little written in there but once a bird is put on a list, getting them taken off is basically not going to happen and that is why it is so important to fight these laws as they (AR) is going after the species one at a time and they are winning!

The government has reopened the comment period which means they will be listing the Hy on the ESA list. If you go way down on the document, they talk about this 'Proposed 4(d) Rule'. Look for that heading on the left in red. It sounds like it could mean ones grandfathered in but I don't trust much when it comes to the AR groups who sued the government for not doing all this before. Keep in mind, any law, once passed, can be easily changed to include other birds meaning to additionally restrict other species but let's face it, if it is not what those AR groups want, they will either a) not push for ones that do not follow their plan or b) add ones on that will hurt/make it illegal for birds to be owned.

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2012-0013-0098

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), plax (01-09-2017), Quakerella (01-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for posting Renee'. The information is comprehensive and eye opening. I haven't heard of some of the species noted at the beginning of the document so I am going to look them up.
    I don't know how a parrot owner can object without red flagging themselves as an owner. Are objections being done anonymously or as a group?

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (01-12-2017), plax (01-09-2017), Quakerella (01-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Thanks for posting Renee'. The information is comprehensive and eye opening. I haven't heard of some of the species noted at the beginning of the document so I am going to look them up.
    I don't know how a parrot owner can object without red flagging themselves as an owner. Are objections being done anonymously or as a group?
    From what I understand, only ones taken into consideration are ones signed. Signed with a maiden name? A name pulled from the phone directory? Ok, so those are hard to come by these days, but you get the idea. Just don't leave it as an anonymous name on it.

I saw somewhere that if you want contact with a government type official to use a lawyer as more of a go between. Just like people who want to apply for a permit thinking they would get one and then be safe. Problem with that is permits are not being given out and you have just handed over who you are, where you live, what animals you have and makes you first on any list. Let that info land in the hands of those AR's. Wise to always stay under the radar.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), plax (01-09-2017), Quakerella (01-09-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Thanks Renee'. Depending upon how this very ominous situation plays out, even veterinary clinical records and pet ID registry databases stand to become serious threats. If at all possible, avian pet owners would do well to pattern their efforts after the gun lobby - we literally need a counterpart to the NRA to fight for preservation of the legal right to possess our cherished birds! Granted, attaining such a thing is far easier said than done. But a serious and organized unity among our country's pet-owning masses would produce the best defense and protections possible.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-09-2017), Lady (01-12-2017), Quakerella (01-09-2017)