User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual bird

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels

Unusual bird

I just received this picture from one of my customers. It is a Lancashire Canary, very unusual looking bird. I love the way the feathers part at the crown and cover the eyes. He is so cute.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canary.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	4762

2. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-22-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-22-2016), kendrafitz (12-22-2016), Lady (12-24-2016), Mare (12-23-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-22-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    He reminds me a little of 'Cousin It' from The Adams Family
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-22-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-22-2016), Lady (12-24-2016), Quakerella (12-22-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

LOL, yes he does.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-22-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I believe it's a canary. If it is, I think I read somewhere that their lifespan isn't as long as "regular" canaries?

Duh....just reread your post Rosalyn. So yes, it IS a canary....lol?
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 12-22-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Some people are not happy with what nature creates and feel they can do better by selective breeding. Whilst this might be acceptable in dairy cattle I find it rather offensive when it is done for purely cosmetic reasons. Show dogs in particular.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-22-2016), Lady (12-24-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-22-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I believe it's a canary. If it is, I think I read somewhere that their lifespan isn't as long as "regular" canaries?
    She said it was a Lancashire Canary. I had never heard of them.

Some people are not happy with what nature creates and feel they can do better by selective breeding. Whilst this might be acceptable in dairy cattle I find it rather offensive when it is done for purely cosmetic reasons.
    I can't say I know anything about the breeding of this bird, this is the first I have heard of it. Would you not say that would be the same with all birds that are not their natural colours in the wild? Or are we speaking of cross species breeding? I am not sure what the line is of these birds.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    ... Would you not say that would be the same with all birds that are not their natural colours in the wild? Or are we speaking of cross species breeding? I am not sure what the line is of these birds.
    In my opinion yes, just look at their motives: firstly to succeed in bird shows and then, with that recognition, to profit from breeding. I don't think that they are cross species. These birds sell for about £100. I am not sure what a normal yellow canary sells for but I doubt it is anywhere near as much.
    Whilst the fashion for breeding and exhibiting canaries has declined I believe it still has its roots in Northern England where they were used as gas detectors in the coal mines. When the bird fell off its perch it was time to get out of the mine. The coal mining industry in the UK is now almost non-existent but the tradition of showing canaries still continues.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

When I was a kid, I had a top knotch or was it a top knot? Doing a search I see the name popping up as a Gloster.

If it weren't for breeders, and I am not referring to the back yard breeders who are just in it for the $$$, the breeders who show, striving to breed any animal and to strive to match the standard of that breed/specie in order to keep it pure, we would loose a lot of different birds, dogs, cats, horses, etc, You should be thankful for the people who do strive to keep things pure in order for future generations to know and love any animal they choose. I get so tired or all the bashing that is done against the breeders. If it were not for breeders doing this along with the love, sweat and tears they have gone through then you would not have your beloved pet. If all the breeders stopped breeding where do you think any animal is going to come from in another 20-30 years? Everything will start dying out and then what happens, that species/breed becomes extinct. Is that what you REALLY want to see happen? If it is, then you don't deserve the love of any animal and you need to rid yourself of all that you own.

Rant over

13. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (12-24-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    From what I gather, the Lancaster canary was almost extinct. Breeders have been able to bring back the species to the point that they aren't on the list anymore.

Breeders can get a bad rap because the ones that people take note of are the unethical ones. Here in Canada, there are specific breeders to stay away from because people with negative experiences have posted about them on Facebook and kijiji. They always have ads selling birds. As long as there is a market, there will be breeders. It is up to consumer to do their homework but many don't and the result is impulse buying, not knowing what they are buying and just generally a lack of understanding of the whole process. The ethical breeders who do it for the love of the birds are seldom acknowledged. Those breeders will ensure that the animal they sell is a healthy, quality animal. JMO
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 12-24-2016 at 11:24 AM.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Macaw Lover (12-24-2016), Quakerella (12-24-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

firstly to succeed in bird shows and then, with that recognition, to profit from breeding.
    I can honestly say I breed for the love of the birds and watching them grow. I do not make a profit from breeding. When I account for all the hours spent hand feeding, socializing, cleaning cages etc., there really is no profit. A reputable breeder spends well over 400 hours with one bird from the beginning, and many more for the larger parrots. The one thing I do not agree with and will never do is inline breeding. I believe this is where the problems begin, but it is done all over the world.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-24-2016), Macaw Lover (12-24-2016)