User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing his grip?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

Losing his grip?

We are concerned about Casper and will be off to the vet next week but I thought I should pass this by you lot first to see if you have any helpful info.
    He keeps slipping whilst climbing around the cage and compared to a friend's african grey doesn't seem very nimble. When on a finger he doesn't seem to grip properly and he has started chewing at the feathers on his left leg which is becoming plucked.
    Is he getting arthritic in his old age?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Even if it isn't arthritis, it seems like his leg is bothering him. Good thing you are going to the vet to check it out. I hope it's something minor.

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-18-2016), Lady (12-18-2016), lolsavannahh (12-20-2016), Quakerella (12-18-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I hope Casper is alright. Do they have a medication for arthritis in birds, or can something be done naturally.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-18-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh I'm not sure just what could be happening with Casper. I would have to research, and see what the web has to say about it. I too hope it is something that is not serious. I will be looking to read what the results from the vet say.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-18-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I don't have any thoughts on what could be wrong. But I wanted to let you know I'm sending you all lots of good thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-18-2016)

Parrots

Thanks for all your kind words, he has been on pain killers before when he had trouble with his wing. I will let you know what the vet says.

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016), Lady (12-18-2016), Mare (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-18-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Aww..I hope it's not serious.
    Last edited by Mare; 12-18-2016 at 03:48 PM.

13. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-18-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016), Lady (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-18-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Jean-Pierre: I'm very sorry to hear Casper is experiencing issues with his foot and leg. Might he have pulled a muscle or fallen and banged his leg recently? Can you gently massage his toes and his leg to see if he expresses any discomfort? It could be a simple sprain. Please keep us posted!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

15. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-19-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016), Macaw Lover (12-19-2016), Mare (12-20-2016), Quakerella (12-19-2016)

Parrots

He hates having his feet touched, maybe he is ticklish.
    He did let me massage but it was impossible to tell whether he was grumpy because it hurt or just because he doesn't like us touching.
    I don't think there is much wrong but I would rather be sure than come down one morning and find he has plucked his leg. It may have been that he was having a mega down moult over the weekend (most of it over me) and had been preening a little hard. His leg doesn't look so pink today.
    Anyway he is booked to see the lady vet this afternoon and will have his beak restyled whilst he is there.

17. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-19-2016), Mare (12-20-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-19-2016), Quakerella (12-19-2016)

Parrots

He's back, and OK really. The vet has given us some more metacam and prescribed 1.1mg twice a day to see if that helps if he is feeling a bit arthritic. He thanked her by doing a big watery poop on her chair. Beak looks smart. It was obviously all too exciting as he has just climbed onto my shoulder and settled down for a kip.

19. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-19-2016), kendrafitz (12-20-2016), Lady (12-24-2016), Mare (12-20-2016), Quakerella (12-19-2016)