User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update on the WPR rescue

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Keep up the good work Dave... and can we see pictures of the newbies please
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (07-19-2017), plax (07-16-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Way to go, Dave! Thanks for helping that macaw pair
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-17-2017), Lady (07-19-2017)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Im away from home until monday night...I will try and post a couple pictures if the suns still up when I get home. The greenwing has some missing feathers,but that is likely due to a large number of moves in his life.The Harlequin is in perfect feather though. I still cant understand how a rescue would allow a male and female to be adopted out together on the condition that they stay together. Nature dictates that once the hormones hit they will have offspring. Now thats not why we accepted the surrender...the woman (quite young) was planning on putting them in with her chickens!! Im glad we were able to avoid that guaranteed disaster and both have been able to stay together and have settled very well into their new home. We NEVER sell or rehome our surrenders...they have been thru enough.
    "Ivo"

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-17-2017), kendrafitz (07-17-2017), Lady (07-19-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedardave View Post
    I still cant understand how a rescue would allow a male and female to be adopted out together on the condition that they stay together.
    My hope is that the decision stemmed from compassion about the emotional trauma that would ensue from separating bond mates. Thinking about it, the poor things have been forced into disruption by losing their home and their human caregiver, then bounced around to various temporary facilities where they have no idea as to their ultimate fate. If someone were to then rip them away from one another, never to reunite again, it would be nothing short of mentally/emotionally devastating. Weighing that result against the possibility that they may procreate, thus adding to the homeless/abused bird problem in our world, makes it quite a rough call
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-17-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-17-2017), Lady (07-19-2017)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I absolutely agree. There are people that would pair up a couple of these birds and breed for profit. The board of directors turned us down immediately because we are breeders...Im fine with that...they have their criteria and stuck to it..
    The part I cant understand is the two macaws I ended up with as a sad result of the passing of their owner just out of the city here are male and female and the person that received them before she passed away was told they have to stay together. A male and female will by nature reproduce...which sort of throws the credability of this board of directors out the window. It doesnt really matter. They are here,they are safe, they arent going anywhere and they remain together. Our goal in accepting them as a surrender was to accomodate their needs. We have done so and they seem quite happy.
    Mission accomplished

I agree with everything you said....just took my short rant for it to sink in...
    "Ivo"

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-18-2017), kendrafitz (07-18-2017), Lady (07-19-2017), plax (07-25-2017)