User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on the WPR rescue

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.

Update on the WPR rescue

Greyhaven has done an amazing job of caring for and placing these poor birds.

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/colu...st-600-parrots

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Lady (12-10-2016), lolsavannahh (12-11-2016), Mare (12-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-10-2016), Quakerella (12-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    That's an amazing story. It is always sad to hear about rescue facilities closing the door, as it is obvious they are required. It is wonderful though to see people step up and help these poor birds that need it. I am always disheartened at how many birds some of these facilities have to take in.

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-10-2016), Lady (12-10-2016), Mare (12-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-10-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I always love to hear of support efforts for birds in need. It's disturbing to read about failing rescue organizations. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that media typically ignores the homeless parrot problem while they tend to present plenty on dogs and cats who need homes. The appearance is that a great portion of society views companion bird catastrophes as less than important
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-10-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-10-2016), Lady (12-10-2016), Mare (12-16-2016), Quakerella (12-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow, thank you for posting this follow up. Thankfully there are some generous folks still able to assist these wonderful, beautiful, deserving feathered beauties.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-10-2016), plax (12-10-2016), Quakerella (12-10-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Before we get to excited about how wonderful the work they do is...ourselves and a number of well versed bird keepers had offered to help by taking in a couple of their birds.We were all turned down because although we had the knowledge and experiance...they were not located in an area where they could keep an eye on us.One of our friends has a specially designed building that sits with a dozen huge macaw flight cages...she was turned down as she was "to rural"....so before we raise a glass to the efforts of these folks...let's be aware of the entire storey.
    "Ivo"

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I, for one, will still raise a glass to them. They have gone over and above to take care of a situation that can only be described as horrific. I am not one to second-guess their decision making. I am just happy that they were there to help.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 12-11-2016 at 12:13 AM.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (12-11-2016), Quakerella (12-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Dave,
    Your right in us not knowing the whole story, but still it is much better for the birds than it was.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-11-2016), Quakerella (12-11-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Cedardave View Post
    Before we get to excited about how wonderful the work they do is...ourselves and a number of well versed bird keepers had offered to help by taking in a couple of their birds.We were all turned down because although we had the knowledge and experiance...they were not located in an area where they could keep an eye on us.One of our friends has a specially designed building that sits with a dozen huge macaw flight cages...she was turned down as she was "to rural"....so before we raise a glass to the efforts of these folks...let's be aware of the entire storey.
    Hi Dave. A couple of things come to mind. Did these folks have other options available to place the birds at the time of your offer? In other words, were the birds at risk of losing the only option for their placement because your offer was declined? As I see it, answers to those two questions are quite relevant as far as determining whether it's reasonable to judge the overseers harshly.

And the other thing I'm wondering about is whether the simple fact that you are a breeder may have put these people off. Despite how noble your practices, policies and intentions happen to be, many homeless bird advocates have trouble trusting breeders and typically view them as contributing to the huge homeless bird population. So this begs the question: if these people weren't intimately familiar with your facility and your policies/practices, is it possible they may have suspected that your ultimate motivation was to generate some amount of profit from any of the birds you might acquire from them? And please be mindful that they likely wouldn't tell you if that were their underlying concern.

Those are just a few of my thoughts on what may be at the root of this issue. I'm not trying to judge... and perhaps I'm wrong.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-11-2016), Mare (12-16-2016), Quakerella (12-11-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I can clearly see you point and the hesitation they could hold since they don't know of us....however,in our area alone many non breeders also contacted them as well as former,retired breeders with years of experiance in the care of even their more difficult birds...all were either ignored or declined.This included our provincial parrot club who's primary goal( like ours) is public education.While Greyhaven now has the remaining birds in there care...that's terrific....but there's a lot more to this sad storey than is made public.
    "Ivo"

Parrots

Well they obviously had their criteria, whatever that may have been. Only you know what was stated during your communications with these folks. If there were any attitudes involved it would be fairly difficult for us as thread participants to gain an impactful depiction thereof. I still can't help but wonder whether they have an aversion to bird breeders, including to anyone they believe might be connected with them. I suppose the proximity thing may have genuinely been a factor as well - they may have plans to physically check in on the birds they've placed from time to time. Irrespective of the dynamics that have gone down and their decisions, though, I think all that's really left is to feel glad for any of the birds who have been placed in good and safe homes. I'm guessing you'll agree with me on that point, Dave.

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-13-2016), Lady (12-15-2016)