User Tag List

Thread: My bird got out!

Parrots

Cocketiel

Unhappy My bird got out!

Im watching a Cockatiel until Christmas because its a present for someone and I was trying to change the cage its in and my mom let it out of its old one and now I cant get it into either. Its not hand trained but it likes me because its in my room and gets happy when im home.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum!
    At some point your cockatiel will get hungry and may return to the cage to eat. If it still won't return to its cage, you can use a towel to cover it and pick it up to return to the cage. How long has it been out?

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (12-08-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-08-2016), Quakerella (12-08-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi NekoAnarchy and welcome.

Excellent advice from Helena. Leave the cage open, with fresh water and food. He will more than likely return, but if not the towel idea is the perfect suggestion. Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-08-2016), Lady (12-08-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-08-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Whilst he/she is out of the cage please make sure that the room is safe:
    Switch off ceiling fans
    Cover any open fireplace hearths.
    Remove any cactus/cactii
    Put a note on the other side of the door to warn anyone walking in that there is a bird loose and they must close the door and be careful not to step on the bird.
    Remove any breakable objects from shelves.
    Just relax and wait, it will head for the food bowl eventually.
    Enjoy watching him enjoying his freedom.

I don't know if cockateils are talkers but our bird picked up on the words "come on then" when we were in a similar situation and uses them whenever he wants us to pick him up.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 12-08-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-08-2016), Lady (12-09-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-08-2016), Quakerella (12-08-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Neko,

Hope you managed to get this little one back to the cage today, all safe and sound. So what happen, did you wait it out until s/he was hungry or did you try the towel method?
    Ugh, I hope the little one came into the cage on it's own. The towel method can be tricky if you've not done it before. You have to be very gentle when holding a bird.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-09-2016), Quakerella (12-09-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I don't know if cockateils are talkers but our bird picked up on the words "come on then"
    I had Cocoa (grey cockatiel) for 20 years, he was a talker. He could say my daughters name with three different tones. Elisabeth, Elisabeth, and my favorite Elisabeth

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-09-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-09-2016)