User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - Tinkerbell

Parrots

Green Cheek Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I have a thought that he may have tried to escape a toweling and got his wing tweaked, maybe in the shoulder area..?.hard to know if you weren't in the room..just a thought.
    She was certainly making a bit of a racket...I could hear her squealing so this is what I'm thinking happened.

It's been several days and she still isn't flying correctly. She isn't making much noise, and one weird thing is she doesn't call to me anymore. She is pretty quiet (unusual). She is still eating okay, and drinking. She won't leave the top of her cage much. Won't step up much.

She seems to be slowly coming around. Today she finally made a kissing noise to me. She was doing this every morning when I came in with breakfast. It was our hello. So, that's an improvement. And today I got her to do a couple other normal things.

She doesn't trust me much now. (again), so now I have another two months of work to do! Today was the first time since we went to the vet that she was willing to go on a "field trip" with me. A field trip is when we leave the room she stays in (my office). We were venturing out once or twice per day so that she could get used to the rest of the house.

Ever since the vet, she didn't want to leave the room. Today she was willing to go into the bathroom with me for our usual cleaning of her bird bath, and to freshen water bowls.

And then we went into my bed room for a stroll around. This was a test. She seemed okay. Just a bit nervous. I didn't want her trying to fly away, so we kept it short.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (12-11-2016), Mare (12-12-2016), Quakerella (12-12-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update. Poor Tinkerbell...hopefully, she continues to come around with no ill effects. You are doing a great job taking it slow with her.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (12-11-2016), plax (12-12-2016), Quakerella (12-11-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    It is sad that a trip to the vet was such a traumatic experience for Tinkerbell. Glad to hear she is coming around, keep up the good work.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-11-2016), Mare (12-12-2016), plax (12-12-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Glad to read that Tinkerbelle is on the mend. Margaret decided we were going to trim Casper's nails this evening. It was all going quite well, using a small towel to wrap him in. Unfortunately she managed to draw blood on one nail and by the time it stopped bleeding the room looked like there had been an explosion in a Colombian cocaine factory with cornflower powder everywhere. Casper thought it was fun*.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-11-2016), Lady (12-15-2016), Mare (12-12-2016), plax (12-12-2016), Quakerella (12-11-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Vet trips pretty much..suck. I feel for you, Rebecca. My last trip, with Shaggy, didn't go as well as our first trip..but what do we do? I love my bird to pieces but now my bird is asking questions..

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    This just a bit of a follow-up with regard to the nail trimming. You may be able to avoid having to get her nails trimmed if you can supply a variety of perches around the cage. Wood perches, sandy perches, soft perches, branches etc. Place the rougher more uneven perches around her food dishes so that she will regularly use them. I don't have my birds nails trimmed, as the use of the different perches keeps them from growing too long. I save a soft perch higher up in the cage for their roosting one.

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-12-2016), Lady (12-15-2016), plax (12-12-2016), Quakerella (12-12-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We have all those for Casper but it does need the bird to do its own pedicure as well. Casper doesn't usually bother but I did notice this time that one nail was pointy, sharp and proper looking whilst all the others were flat at the ends where they had been trimmed by the clippers. I had noticed him making crunching noises whilst he had his foot near his mouth so he must have been profiling that nail.
    Margaret had decided that they needed trimming because he has been a bit clumsy climbing about in his cage just recently and thought his nails might be too long. I thought they were alright and maybe, in hindsight, she will secretly agree with me. My argument will have more strength next time
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-12-2016), Lady (12-15-2016), Quakerella (12-12-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Every now and again I see a couple of my birds nails are a bit longer than I would like. I change perches or move things further away so they have to stretch just a little more. I also use a file for nails if I want points taken off. A long time ago I took my Bella for a nail clip and the person clipping nicked 3 of her nails. I didn' t want to have to put my birds through any unnecessary trauma like nail clipping/vet visits and that's when I started thinking about how I could utilize perches better. As well, I think that flighted birds require a longer nail for grip when landing and taking off, jmo.

15. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (12-15-2016), Mare (12-18-2016), plax (12-12-2016), Quakerella (12-12-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    The diameter of the perch is also important. If the perches are too small the nails do not come into contact with them, and will not keep them trim.

17. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-12-2016), Lady (12-15-2016), Mare (12-18-2016), plax (12-12-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I would bet if you checked her wings...they have been clipped.Sore toes shouldn't effect flight as you have described.Once she trusts you again...use an emery board to keep her nails trim...in addition to a variety of perches.
    "Ivo"

19. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-13-2016), Lady (12-15-2016), Mare (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-13-2016)