User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - Tinkerbell

Parrots

Green Cheek Conure

Help - Tinkerbell

Hi, I am BRAND NEW here.

I have a question/concern that I'm hoping you can help me with.
    I took Tinkerbell (she's a GCC) to have her nails trimmed at the vet last evening. And today, she can't fly.

She tries, but falls to the ground like a bird that has had her wings clipped.

I took her back to the vet because I was concerned and they said that she may be sore. A different vet saw her this morning. They gave her an anti-inflammatory. They checked her wings (no dislocations, etc.)
    She is still eating. She IS a little more stand-offish with me today.
    She was still attempting to fly from her cage to her play stand. But she falls pretty quickly. It's very weird.

This was a bird that until I took her to the vet could fly circles around the room. Was confidently able to plan where she wanted to go. She was even able to fly up and down and make adjustments in flight.

Now she starts and falls like her primary feathers were clipped.

I have not clipped her wings. I don't believe the vet clipped them, but I can't figure out why she would be acting like this. When she had her "vet visit" the first time, they held her and she didn't come home with an inability to fly.

Clipping her nails shouldn't affect her flight...I'm concerned.

Have anyone else ever encountered this before? If a bird is sore, does it affect their ability to fly? Why else might this be happening? How long should I wait before taking her BACK again?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum Rebecca.
    So sorry to hear about Tinkerbell. Just a question, was the vet an avian vet? The vet may have trimmed her nails a little short and she is not feeling as secure in her flight due to the new feeling (pain) in her toes. Did you watch the vet trim her toenails?
    Because birds can go quickly from well to not well, if she is acting the same tomorrow, I would take her in.
    Is she climbing around in her cage? Is she walking or just standing?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Rebecca,

I'm sorry to hear the Tinkerbell is having a difficult time at the moment. Gees, I don't have any idea what else could be bothering her. I think Helena has a good suggestion. I wouldn't wait long to take her back to see the vet if she doesn't improve. I'm anxious to hear the answers to the other questions Helena asked as well. Lets hope it is just some sore toes.

Welcome to P.P.

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-07-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Rebecca, and welcome.

So sorry to hear about Tinkerbell. It is very unusual for a bird to not be able to fly after getting their nails trimmed, something I have never heard of.

Is it possible the vet did a trim of only the flight feathers?
    Can you post a picture of Tinkerbell, possibly with the wing stretched out? If not that is okay, a regular picture from the side might work. Maybe we can see something that is unusual.

I also agree, if the wings were not clipped keep a very close eye on her and if this continues get her to an avian vet as soon as possible.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-07-2016)

Parrots

Green Cheek Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Rebecca.
    So sorry to hear about Tinkerbell. Just a question, was the vet an avian vet? The vet may have trimmed her nails a little short and she is not feeling as secure in her flight due to the new feeling (pain) in her toes. Did you watch the vet trim her toenails?
    Because birds can go quickly from well to not well, if she is acting the same tomorrow, I would take her in.
    Is she climbing around in her cage? Is she walking or just standing?

Hi, Thanks.

I did not see the vet trim her nails. He and his assistant took her to another room.
    The website for the centre states that they are an avian vet. I am not sure how many birds they see, but the Dr. when I visited him the first time for the well-check, mentioned other birds they see.

I took her back in this morning when I discovered that she wasn't flying per usual. They gave her Metacam (1 ml) injection and sent me home with some to start tonight.

At first, before I took her into the vet (this morning), she wasn't moving around so much. Over the course of today, she tried to fly places she normally flies to (water fountain for a bath, play stand, around the room to have run, but a couple of her attempts didn't get her where she wanted [instead straight to the floor), so right now she is not trying.

She is, however, moving around (climbing on outside of cage), trying to get to my hand for a sunflower seed (This was a no brainer before...she would fly, but now she wants me to come close enough to climb onto my hand to get it)

I'm watching her pretty closely and will take her in quickly to the vet should she not be her old self soon!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It sounds as if they clipped her wings. It wouldn't hurt to call the vet and ask him if that is what he did. If he clipped Tinkerbell's wings without your authorization, you may need to have a conversation with him about this.
    As well, I am not sure that I would let the vet take your bird and treat her, trim nails, clip wings unless you are present. Only you will know if your bird is in distress as you know her better than anyone and you will also know what has been done with regard to treatment.
    Hopefully Tinkerbell is feeling better by morning. Please let us know how she is doing.

9. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (12-08-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    It does sound like the wings were clipped, and if this is the case you may want to be careful giving her medication if it is not needed.

Will she let you hold her so you can look at her wings? If they were clipped you should be able to see where it was done.

I hope she is okay, and please keep us updated.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-08-2016), Mare (12-12-2016)

Parrots

Green Cheek Conure
    I didn't like that they took her out of the room either (never have liked that). I have a dog I take to another vet and they do the same thing. Not sure why.

Thanks so much for your help and empathy! I'll keep you posted!

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-08-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hi Rebecca, welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your bird having problems after being at the vet's. I have a thought that he may have tried to escape a toweling and got his wing tweaked, maybe in the shoulder area..?.hard to know if you weren't in the room..just a thought.

I have a cockatoo that I've been having to take in for beak trims and as much as I would not like to be witness to how uncomfortable these trims make him..I stick around just to keep informed.
    Last edited by Mare; 12-08-2016 at 02:37 AM.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-08-2016), Lady (12-08-2016), Quakerella (12-08-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    It should be very obvious if the wing feathers have been clipped, this is what is done

Picture borrowed from backyard chickens forum.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

17. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-08-2016), Lady (12-08-2016), Mare (12-12-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-08-2016), Quakerella (12-08-2016)