User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help - Tinkerbell

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Every now and again I see a couple of my birds nails are a bit longer than I would like. I change perches or move things further away so they have to stretch just a little more. I also use a file for nails if I want points taken off. A long time ago I took my Bella for a nail clip and the person clipping nicked 3 of her nails. I didn' t want to have to put my birds through any unnecessary trauma like nail clipping/vet visits and that's when I started thinking about how I could utilize perches better. As well, I think that flighted birds require a longer nail for grip when landing and taking off, jmo.
    How did you get your bird or birds used to the nail file

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	4748I started by stroking their toes when they were hanging off the side of the cage, telling them what a nice boy/girl they were. Then I added a quick pinching motion on the tip of the nail and said snip snip, so they got used to the pressure. Next I showed them the file and let them examine it. Then I touched their feet with it and began by just taking one or two strokes. This was done over a period of weeks. It takes time but it is worth it to me because it doesn't stress them out. If they don't want it done at a time when I bring out the file, I just leave it for another time.

If you are thinking of Lucky, you may need a heavier file like the one in the picture as a regular nail file may not be strong enough.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 12-13-2016 at 05:28 PM.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-17-2016)

Parrots

Green Cheek Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I started by stroking their toes when they were hanging off the side of the cage, telling them what a nice boy/girl they were. Then I added a quick pinching motion on the tip of the nail and said snip snip, so they got used to the pressure. Next I showed them the file and let them examine it. Then I touched their feet with it and began by just taking one or two strokes. This was done over a period of weeks. It takes time but it is worth it to me because it doesn't stress them out. If they don't want it done at a time when I bring out the file, I just leave it for another time.

If you are thinking of Lucky, you may need a heavier file like the one in the picture as a regular nail file may not be strong enough.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Oh, thank for this suggestion. I really don't want to take her back to the vet and experience this ever again! I am going to give this training a try.

Also, I wanted everyone to know that she is almost back to 100% normal. She still isn't flying circles around the room yet, but she is starting to be able to make adjustments in flight. And she is now (starting yesterday) flying across the room (about 12 feet) from her cage to play stand. And she's shouting for me again. After the vet, she lost all trust. I think she felt totally molested and I was the pimp!

We are still working on regaining trust...she will step up now, but only after a lot of coaxing.

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-17-2016), Lady (12-18-2016), plax (12-17-2016), Quakerella (12-17-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Wonderful to hear Rebecca. Everyday is a new day, and it sounds like Tinkerbell is doing well.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-17-2016), Lady (12-18-2016), plax (12-17-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Good news! I'm happy to know Tinkerbell is coming back to normal

9. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016), Lady (12-18-2016), plax (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-18-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Yay glad to hear this news. I know what it is like when they lose some trust, but I know you'll work hard getting her back to her old self and it will come.

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2016), Mare (12-18-2016), plax (12-18-2016), Quakerella (12-18-2016)