User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaggy, my chew-chew monkey

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    I do see it now, and that is one powerful looking beak. I hope the trimming helps.
    Thanks, Rosalyn . These are very powerful beaks, indeed! Amigo could chew through an oak tree limb and drop it to the ground, the size of my forearm,, all within a couple of hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (12-04-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    That is amazing. I have a few scars from my birds, but nothing close to what one of these could do if they were really upset with you.

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-04-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Can you see how his upper beak leans to his right? It rubs on that lower beak's point and therefore allows the other side to continue to grow. He's not a huge chewer of wood but I keep trying.
    He indeed has a slight case of scissors beak. Zaffer's beak had a nearly identical amount of it when he came to live with me in 2005. His was mostly misalignment from the rapid overgrowth he experiences, not actual beak distortion. Shaggy's may be the same... I can't tell from the pics. And Zaf's lower mandible overlapped on his right side instead of his left side, as Shaggy's does. Ongoing lower beak trims have made a dramatic improvement for Zaf.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-04-2016), Lady (12-04-2016), Mare (12-04-2016), Quakerella (12-05-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Ooh, a new avatar pic - is that you with Zaf, Tony?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Ooh, a new avatar pic - is that you with Zaf, Tony?

What? New? It's the same one I've always had on the plax account. And yes, that's me with Zaf.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    He indeed has a slight case of scissors beak. Zaffer's beak had a nearly identical amount of it when he came to live with me in 2005. His was mostly misalignment from the rapid overgrowth he experiences, not actual beak distortion. Shaggy's may be the same... I can't tell from the pics. And Zaf's lower mandible overlapped on his right side instead of his left side, as Shaggy's does. Ongoing lower beak trims have made a dramatic improvement for Zaf.

Thanks, Tony. With Shaggy's first beak trim (with me), I had no idea what to expect. I'll know to ask more questions tomorrow. I'm hoping to also discuss his wrist/foot band.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-05-2016), plax (12-05-2016), Quakerella (12-05-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Just explain to Shaggy that Vets are nice people really
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-06-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

The trim went well, I stayed in the room. I figured it's better to be informed. The vet wants to see him in three weeks, now. She wants me to realign his beak whenever he is with me, manually..with my hand, just hold it in the correct position and is even thinking about a non-permanent prosthetic prop to help induce alignment. We discussed his band that was removed and she says that, yes..all the info I got from Tony is correct. His age was changed in his file from 12yrs. To 24yrs. old but not much more info than that to share.

14. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-06-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-06-2016), kendrafitz (12-06-2016), plax (12-06-2016), Quakerella (12-06-2016)