User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost Hyacinth Macaw in Oregon

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    I thought they were bigger than a GW. They seem to look longer. That is still quite a large wingspan.
    You're right. It's still a good size wingspan. However, most folks think Hys are gargantuanly humongous. And that's mainly due to those many inaccurate assertions published on the Internet that I've mentioned. I've seen quite a few Hys in person and I've reviewed plenty of real size and weight data. See for yourself... have a look at the following figures taken from real birds during veterinary examinations: http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...nd-Weight-Data

Note: On Scott McDonald's chart, the first figure is the 'mean' (average) weight for the species. The middle figure is a 20% range from that mean weight. And the last figure is the heaviest noted weight among the species.

That is very possible. I didn't read anywhere how he escaped.
    Nor did I. I don't believe it was mentioned within the dialog.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    You're right. It's still a good size wingspan. However, most folks think Hys are gargantuanly humongous. And that's mainly due to those many inaccurate assertions published on the Internet that I've mentioned. I've seen quite a few Hys in person and I've reviewed plenty of real size and weight data. See for yourself... have a look at the following figures taken from real birds during veterinary examinations: http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...nd-Weight-Data

Note: On Scott McDonald's chart, the first figure is the 'mean' (average) weight for the species. The middle figure is a 20% range from that mean weight. And the last figure is the heaviest noted weight among the species.
    Thank you Tony. That is very informative. I honestly thought they were much heavier than what is stated there.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain, but what diameter of perch do you use for a bird of that size and weight?

Parrots

Thank you Tony. That is very informative. I honestly thought they were much heavier than what is stated there.
    Most people do. And you're welcome.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain, but what diameter of perch do you use for a bird of that size and weight?
    I try to give each bird access to multiple perches of different diameters in order to keep their grasp healthy and versatile. They typically have access to branches from a 1-inch diameter to a 2.5-inch diameter. Zaf is afraid of branches so it's quite hard to do with him

4. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (11-28-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    This is terrible, I'm just catching up..has there been any good news?

Super Moderator

Parrots

I'm looking for some Mare.

Parrots

No good news yet . They report that they're going to continue looking for Deora over the weekend. They may have heard him a few times and at least one person saw a large bird in the distance on one occasion. But they can't be certain that the bird nor the sounds were in fact him.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (12-03-2016), Quakerella (12-03-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

From what I recall, I believe they were close to a densely forested area, which could make it hard to see him. I do hope they find him soon.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (12-04-2016), Mare (12-03-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-04-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    The winter cold is setting in, I also hope she is found soon!

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (12-04-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-04-2016), Quakerella (12-03-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We have feral parrots in the north of England that seem to survive our bleak winter weather.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (12-04-2016), PlaxMacaws (12-04-2016), Quakerella (12-03-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    We have feral parrots in the north of England that seem to survive our bleak winter weather.
    Yes, we have them at various locations over here as well. But be mindful that the smaller feral parrots often have each other, whereas this guy is entirely on his own. Odds are astronomically against him running into another free-flying Hyacinth, or even a macaw of a different species, during his time at large

16. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (12-03-2016)