User Tag List

Thread: Thinking of starting a rescue

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus

Thinking of starting a rescue

As most of you know we are breeders( reserve judgement).We are located in central Canada where there are one of two for profit rescues.When we sell our young babies we have a contractual agreement they will be surrendered back to us should the new family become unable to care for them.There were a number of people looking to surrender their birds while we had our display at the Petshow.We already have a feed supplier,the knowledge and skill as well as employees.So as I mull this over it really only involves the addition of what I think will be a 500 sq foot addition...lighting,heating,ventilation.Im hopeing to look towards spring.The rescue birds..surrenders remain with us.I don't believe they should ever have more homes after being given up.
    "Ivo"

2. The following 8 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-25-2016), Dragonlady2 (11-25-2016), kendrafitz (11-25-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), lolsavannahh (11-25-2016), Mare (11-25-2016), PlaxMacaws (11-25-2016), Quakerella (11-25-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I think that is amazing. You would do a wonderful job of keeping, raising, socializing, and above all loving all the birds. It is unfortunate that a rescue facility is required, but it is. That is quite a large addition, but I am sure it is required, as I am sure you have put a lot of thought into this and the process. Only a real, true bird lover would consider. Good for you and Good Luck. Keep us updated on the plans and the progress when you make the final "yes"or "no" decision.

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-25-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), lolsavannahh (11-25-2016), PlaxMacaws (11-25-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Thank you.
    As a result of our educational display at the Winnipeg Pet show this past October, we have a senior couple looking to surrender a pair of 20 and 23 year of Scarlet macaws, a 5 year old African grey and Blue and gold macaw from someone else.We always have people looking to surrender and do what we can to take them in...they need somewhere to go.Since there are no real alternatives...it seems like the right thing to do....but is a big commitment on top of the number of birds we currently care for.So the thought process is now underway.Over the last 6 years we have taken in over a dozen rescues...many of whom were in such bad shape they were only with us for a year or two.But I'm proud to know the last years were their best nutrition and socially
    Last edited by Cedardave; 11-25-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    "Ivo"

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-25-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), PlaxMacaws (11-25-2016), Quakerella (11-25-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I think that is absolutely amazing. You are right about them needing somewhere to go, and if you have the room, time, patience and love to do it, it's great. I do hope everything goes according (or at least somewhat) to your plans.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-25-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), PlaxMacaws (11-25-2016)

Parrots

I put together a go fundme page to try and raise funds for an appropriate building....we shall see where that goes.
    "Ivo"

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-25-2016), PlaxMacaws (11-25-2016), Quakerella (11-26-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Good on you, Dave! Your intention is quite noble and your plans may well help many birds in need. I hope it can work for you and certainly for the birds you would help. And yes, please keep us posted... I know you will
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-25-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), Quakerella (11-25-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    A very noble cause, yes indeed! I was going to suggest the fundme way to go I know a few folks that have used it and got started. Tim and I have talked of doing a rescue but didn't know where to start. Keep us updated!

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-25-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), Quakerella (11-26-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Aye, good luck with the new project. Have you considered becoming a registered charity? If you were to do that in the UK there would be tax advantages. I have no idea what the situation is in Canada.
    The rescue birds..surrenders remain with us.I don't believe they should ever have more homes after being given up.
    An excellent philosophy
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-26-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), Quakerella (11-26-2016)

Parrots

Should we be able to raise some significant funds, we would register the rescue portion as a charity.We have always had a policy as breeders to take birds that we sell back should they not work out for the families...and they then remain with us...to date zero returns.We hand raise and hand tame our companion birds to be the highest quality companions available.We keep in touch with everyone we have ever sold to and from all accounts our former babies are all well balanced and happy.We have even had to turn down a sale of two sun conures just today as they would be housed with a Quaker...why would anyone risk the lives of their animals?
    "Ivo"

18. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-26-2016), Dragonlady2 (11-26-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), Mare (12-03-2016)