User Tag List

Thread: Importance of social interaction

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.

Importance of social interaction

THE IMPORTANCE OF SOCIAL INTERACTION

Parrots are flock animals with an innate need for companionship and social interaction. A parrot derives it's greatest sense of physical and emotional security from living within a flock. Parrots are rarely alone in the wild. The social nature of a flock is very important to a bird's emotional well-being. Flocks participate in many activities together such as eating, traveling, preening, bathing, climbing, playing, roosting, vocalizing and socializing.

One of the most difficult of all things for a crow, a raven, a wolf or a human is to feel alone and separated from one's own kind. A sense of belonging is one of the most universal of all feelings. - Lawrence Kilham, 1989

A bird left in isolation without love and attention will have a poorly developed sense of security or belonging. Parrots are social beings and isolation can lead to the development of negative behaviors, depression and even insanity.

Within our homes it is important that we provide for our birds need for social connectedness. Fortunately, our birds exceptional intelligence in combination with their innate social nature enables them to relate to their human family as their flock.

You can help your bird feel as though he is part of your flock by:

- Respecting and interacting with him as a full fledged, equal member of your family.
    - Including your bird in routine day to day activities. Even folding laundry can be great fun to a bird.
    - Sharing meal time. Eating is a flock behavior and your bird will relish opportunities to share healthy meals with the family.
    - Establishing fun rituals to enjoy with your bird every day (interactive games, songs, greetings, goodbyes).
    - Acknowledging and responding to your bird's contact calls to reassure him when you are in other parts of the house.

To set the stage for successful social interactions between your parrot and its human flock it is imperative to know how to socialize your bird as well as how to give your bird attention and guidance.

From: http://avianenrichment.com/learn/emo...al-interaction

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-21-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), Mare (11-19-2016), plax (11-21-2016), Quakerella (11-21-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Good read! Thanks, Helena . I'm preparing to roll our Sassy Goffins cage into Shaggy's room. I know, although Amigo would have tried to kill her if loose with her..he really did enjoy her company.

4. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-21-2016), Dragonlady2 (11-19-2016), kendrafitz (11-19-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), plax (11-21-2016), Quakerella (11-21-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I fully endorse and love this message, Helena. Thank you for posting it! It occurred to me that the statement "Even folding laundry can be great fun to a bird" could easily and accurately be appended with the following: "Even folding laundry can be great fun to a bird - but be careful because shredding laundry can also be great fun to a bird!"
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-21-2016), kendrafitz (11-22-2016), Quakerella (11-21-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Before we got the cats, it was easy to include the birds in everyday activities. However, now that there are specific bird rooms, there are fewer opportunities for this to happen. I hope to build an outdoor cat area for the indoor cats so they can be safely outside on good days and I will be able to have a few of the birds in other parts of the house. I miss making supper with Pepper bobbing for peeled potatoes or eating corn from my plate. The relationship with the birds doesn't have the same quality as it did when we were able to move around more freely.

Tony, I'd be more afraid of the birds pooping on my laundry. Lol..

8. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (11-22-2016), plax (11-21-2016), Quakerella (11-21-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Before we got the cats, it was easy to include the birds in everyday activities. However, now that there are specific bird rooms, there are fewer opportunities for this to happen. I hope to build an outdoor cat area for the indoor cats so they can be safely outside on good days and I will be able to have a few of the birds in other parts of the house. I miss making supper with Pepper bobbing for peeled potatoes or eating corn from my plate. The relationship with the birds doesn't have the same quality as it did when we were able to move around more freely.
    I understand, Helena. We only have so many resources and we are only capable of spreading ourselves so thin. Hopefully your outdoor cat area plans will resolve some of that for you and your birds. It's indeed wonderful to have them involved in our lives as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Tony, I'd be more afraid of the birds pooping on my laundry. Lol..
    Great point
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-21-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), Quakerella (11-21-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	4707

Casper helping with the laundry whilst staying with our friend as we were on holiday
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-21-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), plax (11-21-2016), Quakerella (11-22-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I think the shredding vs pooping on laundry is determined by big or smaller beaks. While macaws are known for holding their poop and not pooping on their people, they are shredding loons. The smaller guys sound like ruining clothing isn't as much of an issue? But I remember the ladies at the store Rosie was at saying the smaller guys can't hold their poop. So either way laundry is not the easiest chore.
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-22-2016), Dragonlady2 (11-22-2016), Lady (11-26-2016), plax (11-22-2016), Quakerella (11-22-2016)

Parrots

Black Headed Caiques, Budgies, Starling past: Conures, Macaws, Amazons, Cockatiels, Ringneck
    Flock meals and showers (even if that is a small bird taking a bath while you wash dishes) go a long away to establishing a flock dynamic!
    Squawk and Howl: Parrot-Centric Pet Sitting & Behavioral Consultations in Columbus, Ohio

We also power wash cages, offer avian catering, and more!

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), plax (09-12-2017), Quakerella (09-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Flock meals and showers (even if that is a small bird taking a bath while you wash dishes) go a long away to establishing a flock dynamic!
    My IRN loves to take a bath in one sink while I am washing dishes in the other.

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), Lady (09-14-2017), plax (09-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	4707

Casper helping with the laundry whilst staying with our friend as we were on holiday
    I just love your bird!

20. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-15-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-15-2017)