User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dime?

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Dime?

I was putting laundry away in my room this morning and put Rosie on my bed to play. I didn't realize it but a dime was on the far side of the bed. After a couple minutes I went to get Rosie and noticed she was going to town chomping on the dime. She refused to relinquish it and thank goodness she bit it in such a way that it flew out of her beak across the room.

I looked up the metals in a dime and it said copper and nickel. The dime doesn't look that bad, so I am hoping she didn't injest anything. I have attached pictures of the dime.

Does anyone know what I should keep an eye out for? She is acting fine and is as active as ever. We are going to shower now so she will get some water bc she likes to drink and shower at the same time.

I'm not SUPER worried, but I am a worrier. So I just want to be sure to watch her for any symptoms. I'll be home with her until 3 and then back at 445. So I will have me eye on her for the majority of the day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-16 09.59.21.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	4700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-16 09.58.24.jpg 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	4701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-16 09.57.49.jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	4702
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My guess would be she would have a bigger problem with germs on the dime. There doesn't look to be damage on the dime. She will probably be fine. I know you will be watching her like a hawk.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (11-16-2016), plax (11-16-2016), Quakerella (11-17-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    She should be fine, Kendra. The interior metal of a modern American dime is copper, which can be toxic for birds. The external layers, however, are nickel. Nickel is the predominant material that contacted Rosie's oral cavity, not copper. The copper within a newer Roosevelt American dime is sandwiched between two thick layers of nickel and is only exposed as a thin strip at the coin's ridged edge. That said, nickel is considered a relatively safe metal for parrots - the metal parts of many commercial bird toys are in fact plated with nickel. And even if there were a higher presence of exposed copper on a coin that Rosie managed to find -say a penny- it would be unlikely for her to ingest enough copper during some dry mouth play to cause her any harm. She'd likely have to scrape and swallow or place the coin in water for a period of time and then drink the water. So yes, watch her... but I'm sure there's nothing to worry about
    Last edited by plax; 11-16-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typed, read through, then edited for clarity
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (11-16-2016), Quakerella (11-17-2016)

Parrots

Thank you Helena and Tony. I feel much better. I just wasn't sure and I worry about my strong willed girl.
    Rosie & Kendra

7. The following user likes this post:

plax (11-16-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I agree with Helena and Tony. I am sure she will be fine. She didn't break any off and ingest it and didn't have it for a long period of time. I know you will be watching her.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016), kendrafitz (11-17-2016), plax (11-17-2016)

Parrots

Thank you Rosalyn. She was normal all day today, thank goodness!
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

"In God we trust"... all others pay cash
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016), kendrafitz (11-17-2016), plax (11-17-2016)

Parrots

Miss Rosie seems to be fine and up to her usual mischievous antics. Here she is "helping" me make my shopping list this morning.

Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply and alleviate a neurotic parrot Mommy's fears.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-17-2016), Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016), Lady (11-20-2016), plax (11-17-2016), Quakerella (11-17-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    It looks like she vetoed a couple of your previous lists

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016), kendrafitz (11-17-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    It looks like she vetoed a couple of your previous lists

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    No non parrot people would believe how hard it is to write, use a tablet, etc with a parrot in your space.

I switched locations of the pad about 25 times before I thought to give her some paper to rip. But that isn't as fun as helping with what I'm doing. So we went back to dodge and weaving.
    Rosie & Kendra

18. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-17-2016), Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016), Mare (11-17-2016), plax (11-17-2016)