User Tag List

Thread: Don't Know What It's Called

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Don't Know What It's Called

Good morning all,

Charlie is still flinging his pellets around his cage, he gets a lot of enjoyment out of watching them fly all over the place, me not so much. I know they make something to put on the cage to try and keep the pellets from flying out but I don't know what it is called. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a good day!

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (11-05-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    seed guard? It's like a mesh thing you buy that is tight around the edges so it catches them!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

4. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (12-03-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I was thinking it was a seed/pellet corral, but I couldn't find one that a cockatoo would be able to use. Is his pellet bowl up high in his cage? Maybe lowering it closer to the bottom of the cage would take away some of the excitement of flinging his pellets.

I found using large bowls (48 oz) helps along with just putting enough pellets for 1 day as it seems if there wee more in there it enticed Jody and Kalea to have a good 'ol time in playing in the bowls and then knocking them all over.

7. The following user likes this post:

Lady (11-05-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Get some wedding dress veil material, dirt cheap by the yard so you can afford to throw it away when it gets grubby or wash it if you are really miserly.
    It also makes good mosquito netting far cheaper than you can get it from a camping shop.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (12-03-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    What about using tool, like they use when making a tu-tu? I don't think it is expensive and you can get it by the yard, but would have to be sure Charlie doesn't get to chew it. I like Renee's idea of moving his dish lower if it's possible. Heck, you could even drape an old sheet around the side of the cage that his bowl is on to help the pellets from getting outside the cage.

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Be careful with fabrics as they can be chewed and sometimes collect and not pass....some of the suggestions so far may fall into that category.Some fabrics will also just unravel into long stringy bits that can harm the digestive system.I prefer just cleaning up the mess and trying to teach the habit out of them.Mess vs Vet....Mess always wins
    "Ivo"

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-06-2016), mdg1109 (12-03-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions, yes Seed Guard is what I was thinking about Savanna! His bowl is not very high up in his cage, just mid way. I have started only putting a handful of his pellets in at a time that has deterred it a bit, he loves to get in there and scrape this out with his beak or when I was putting a lot in he would stand there in his food bowl and kick them out with his feet! He is a nut but I love him.

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-03-2016), kendrafitz (12-03-2016), Lady (12-04-2016), Quakerella (12-03-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Harrisons pellets are quite painful if you step on them barefoot. Same colour as our carpet as well.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

16. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (12-03-2016)