User Tag List

Thread: Sweet potatoes and food saving to freze

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure

Sweet potatoes and food saving to freze

Can i give them raw and if cooking what temp is ok to server at still having a hard time getting him to eat anything but his hookbill diet i now know he like green apples no seed and green grapes no skin or seed and bananas a little broccoli and baby carrot my problem is he seems to only take a few bites or eat one whole grape or a chumck of this or tjat so i guess its good hes trying things but i know he needs more i eat new things every morning with him other than that jes happy and healthy and i love him o so much... ive been loking itnup can find anything useful can i food save and freze whole bannas and such for him how do you all go about it rhank so much for any given info

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If you are serving him cooked foods, they should be warm, not hot so as to burn his tongue. My parrots don't eat all of their food at one sitting. They will take a bite here and there, throw some out of their cage, go back later for another bite. Try chopping the food and mixing together to see if he will try that. A chunky chop so he can see what food is in the bowl. Try cooking sweet potato and serving it in chunks with cinnamon sprinkled on top or mash the sweet potato and mix with cinnamon. It's trial and error when trying to find out what they will eat. Most birds don't like the taste of greens like kale, Swiss chard....I chop it up real fine and toss their favourite food in it so that it sticks. You gotta learn to outsmart them...lol

3. The following user likes this post:

luckyandjenn (10-26-2016)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    If you are serving him cooked foods, they should be warm, not hot so as to burn his tongue. My parrots don't eat all of their food at one sitting. They will take a bite here and there, throw some out of their cage, go back later for another bite. Try chopping the food and mixing together to see if he will try that. A chunky chop so he can see what food is in the bowl. Try cooking sweet potato and serving it in chunks with cinnamon sprinkled on top or mash the sweet potato and mix with cinnamon. It's trial and error when trying to find out what they will eat. Most birds don't like the taste of greens like kale, Swiss chard....I chop it up real fine and toss their favourite food in it so that it sticks. You gotta learn to outsmart them...lol
    Ha ha thanks it is trial and errror i just wanted to make sure if i tryed giving it to him raw it was ok i will try chunked and mashed sweet potatoes this evening and see how it goes i will add a bit of cinnamon i will try hiding swiss chard and kale as i have both in my garden i know he does not like swiss chard raw i dont blame him lol i try it with him once kinda bitter to my pallet also trying pear with him one time this week found out he like bananas this morning it make me feel like a hard working proud momma when i find somthing he likes lol i do a little victory dance and say one point for momma lol

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-26-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hey @luckyandjenn
    How's the food trials going? Has Lucky had anything new that you found he enjoys? Don't forget you can also try juice. Lady likes carrot juice and mango as well as kiwi. I've been thinking about investing in a juicer so I can make little ice cubes out of the juice and put it in her bowl when the weather gets hot.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-16-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Hey @luckyandjenn
    How's the food trials going? Has Lucky had anything new that you found he enjoys? Don't forget you can also try juice. Lady likes carrot juice and mango as well as kiwi. I've been thinking about investing in a juicer so I can make little ice cubes out of the juice and put it in her bowl when the weather gets hot.
    Lets see all the same stuff just a little more ive been looking up recipes in going to try making birdie bread and see how that goes o he likes pypya and so do i i now have a foood saver and know how to freze what i need when i need it butbits still a work in progress he pretty picky so thats why i looked into birdy bread of muffins ill deff do the jucie cubes too as i arledy give him ice cubes on hot days

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-16-2017), Lady (04-16-2017)