User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please, please, please don't use it

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels

Please, please, please don't use it

I have received many emails over the past few months about using fleece, specifically polyester fleece for bird toys. I ask people, please don't use it, it is dangerous for birds. Polyester fleece is made from recycle PET plastic and ethylene glycol, yes antifreeze. These two ingredients are both petroleum derivatives not to mention ethylene glycol is highly toxic. If it is an absolute must that you have fleece for your bird use only organic hemp and cotton. You may not see the effect immediately, but you are shortening your birds lifespan drastically by using it.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-26-2016), kendrafitz (10-25-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    In what way is it dangerous, does it give off fumes or is it dangerous if swallowed? Please be more specific with your warning, all plastics are made from nasty chemicals but they are mostly quite harmless in everyday use.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Yes, I am interested as well...I am guessing the danger is in ingestion. Parrots will chew pretty much anything. My conures have a hanging toy? that is made from fleece. As burrowers, they like to hide underneath with their head up where the fleece hangs....I will have to check out if they are chewing it, plus, I probably need to look for alternative things for them to hide under.
    Quakerella....what about polyrope...I use that a lot to tie things together and make toys?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Sorry for not elaborating. I can only do a brief summary as it would take me well over a week to give you all the indepth details.

Polyester is a manufactured using terephthatic acid and ethylene glycol, both petroleum derivatives. Most polyester is made from recycled PET, after sterilizing of course. Tests have proven PET leaches chemicals over time. It is listed as a one time use only plastic as it allows for the growth of bacteria. Also, there were no restrictions on phthalates in clothing or textiles until 2015. Ethylene glycol is extremely toxic. To humans and to animals. It can be fatal if not immediately treated. Put these two together you get polyester.

If your polyester is dyed it may contain Cadmium, lead, and/or mercury and it probably contains Chlorobenzenes. Chlorobenzenes is mainly used to dye polyester and is toxic by skin contact or by inhalation.

The tests that have been carried out are always in high doses but this is from the U.S. Public Health Services "In animals, exposure to high concentrations of chlorobenzene
    affects the brain, liver, and kidneys. Unconsciousness, tremors and
    restlessness have been observed. The chemical can cause severe injury
    to the liver and kidneys. Data indicate that chlorobenzene does not
    affect reproduction or cause birth defects. Studies in animals have
    shown that chlorobenzene can produce liver nodules, providing some but
    not clear evidence of cancer risk." Again this is in high or continuous doses.

Polyester as a textile or certain apparel must be fire retardant or fire resistent as set out in the Government's Textile Flammability Regulations. To make polyester flame retardant it is coated with various chemicals which may include formaldehyde or Antimony.

This is just brief, but there is nothing about polyester that I feel comfortable with. I started researching polyester when I started getting sore throats, but only when wearing certain items. I also found that I seem to be sniffling more or more stuffed up when I went to bed. Sure enough my sheets were polyester or "wrinkle free". Not saying this is the only element that was causing the problem, but getting rid of it did help.

People have their own opinions and I respect them wholeheartedly. This is just mine and I wanted to pass on this info as I know you all love your birds very much.

Quakerella....what about polyrope...I use that a lot to tie things together and make toys?
    It is my understanding true Polyrope is made from Polyethylene, I believe it is low density Poly. I will check. Low density is one of the safest plastics.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-26-2016), Lady (10-29-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the information. I guess I knew some of this, particularly the colouring and flame retardant info...I just did not connect the dots regarding safety for my birds. There is so much out there sold specifically for birds that is made from fleece.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Righto, thanks for the warning, I don't think the amount of fleece that Casper is exposed to is cause for concern, I will however be interested to see if it contributory to my own sore throat problem.
    I seem to recall there was a scare a while ago about the chemicals used to make fabrics fire retardant, hopefully those chemicals have been outlawed.
    If you are planning on changing your bed sheets to Egyptian cotton you could also be adding to the water shortages in that country.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Also P.S. for people with male birds... fleece looks and feels like a sexy curvy hot lady bird and they will hump it or feed it all day long if given the opportunity! Best to stay away at all costs
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-26-2016), Quakerella (10-26-2016)

Fleece is used in baby sleepwear and by Federal Law it has to be treated with a flame retardant. If you buy the fabric from a fabric store, check the end of the bolt and you will see the statement on it.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-26-2016), Lady (10-29-2016), Quakerella (10-26-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I do believe the same law applies for sheets and blankets.

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    I do believe the same law applies for sheets and blankets.
    Are you referring to sheets out of fleece? I am not aware of sheets out of fleece but then there could be.

Blankets, if out of fleece, yes that would have the chemical on there too.

We have to thank all the idiot parents who smoke around kids, drop a butt on the kids sleepwear and the fabric melts because it is basically plastic. That is why the government mandated that fleece material have that chemical on it and people give their birds fleece to chew on or use those snuggle huts. I had brought up this topic elsewhere and owners don't want to believe that it would be unsafe and you just get tired of banging your head against the wall.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-27-2016), Lady (10-29-2016)