User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Want A Lovebird

Thank you again. I'll be as prepared as I possibly can, in every category of bird care! I just looked at my calendar and realized that I'll have to wait 6 months before being able to get a bird...I am going to be so prepared. X3 At least I have plenty of time to organize and get ready, I might even be able to find a trusty breeder or an animal shelter that has birds. I hear about birds at shelters, but I have yet to actually find a shelter in my area with birds. That's definitely something I can look into during this time.

Oh yes! I had another question circling my head lately. If I didn't find a breeder but wanted a bird from a breeder, how would I find one? I've heard of some sites like Hoobly Classifieds, which sells a wide range of things other than birds, but I want to avoid being conned the best I can.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Just search the net for registered parrot breeders. Usually you will get a number of them, then try and search reviews for them. That way you can check to see if anyone has complained.

Okay! That's a great idea. I'll look into it, thank you.

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    I just skimmed over these replies because I am in a bit of a rush but wanted to reply quickly so sorry if this has already been talked about!!!!

I suggest only getting one lovebird, or if you were to get more, get a separate cage for them. Lovies are very very territorial and especially since they will be new to you, young or not, they will definately trust eachother much more than they will trust you at first and even in the long run. Lovebirds are great birds.. but very demanding so for a first bird I really don't suggest them. I have one, and got him as my first bird myself, but I really think I would have had much less mistakes along the way if I were to get a budgie or a cockatiel. Lovebirds are so much more high maintenance than a lot of other smaller birds, so you really really do need to research and spend time with other peoples lovies before you get your own!
    Lovebirds and parrotlets are just very bad beginner birds.. but when prepared for the adorable trainwreck they are, they can be fun! I am so glad you will have 6 months to carefully plan and research before you get one(: Please feel free to ask any of us questions and we will all love to help you answer them!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-29-2016), Dragonlady2 (10-24-2016), Queen (10-24-2016)

Thank you, Savannah! Sorry for my late reply.

I have some past bird experience with my budgies and I had a friend who stumbled into the bird world as well and got herself a cockatiel, both birds of which were untamed. The cockatiel was quite the biter too. My experiences with birds aren't all bad of course! The cockatiel loved to sing, and so did my budgies. Watching them play was also always very cute too.

Thank you for your advice about getting to actually know Lovebirds more! I have been thinking of finding a bird shelter I could get involved in and potentially actually finding a person who owns a Lovebird I can learn from. Surely I won't only get to know a person to get to their bird! I would love to make more friends who share an interest in birds like I do. And I have been looking for shelters, but haven't found much luck.

Currently, I don't have any questions...for this spare moment, haha. Though, I am so thankful for everyone's advice, answers, and kindness.
    Well, I was curious of breeding Lovebirds and I definitely do not plan to get a Lovebird just to breed them! However, I think I'll save those questions for a later time. There are many other things seeking my attention at this moment.

Oh! I would also like to mention that I was planning on taking college courses online, maybe not all, but some at least. I hope to try a course or two this summer to see how it goes. Just found it exciting and it could help me have more time for a bird. :3

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-25-2016), lolsavannahh (10-26-2016)

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    We have eight of them they do like to bite but the more you hold them and imprint on them the less hard the bitting hurts. But I have had blood drawn more times than I can count. But they do get used to you . Use millet sprigs to feed them treats and lessen the distance each time , move hand closer but keep your skin tight in a fist it's harder for them to grab hold if skin is tight also hold back of your hand toward the beak and say kiss kiss , they eventually will touch the tounge against the back of your hand and that is the birdie kiss!!!
    Last edited by wingman; 10-29-2016 at 12:24 AM.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-29-2016), Queen (10-30-2016)

Thank you for the tips!! I'll keep this in mind for when I get a bird. I was a bit concerned about the biting and wasn't sure on how to get around it, so thank you very much!

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-30-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Lovebirds are one of the more bitey of the small bird group so it's inevitable. Nash bites me all the time whenever he is throwing a fit because I won't let him do something LOL... They have big beaks compared to their size so it will hurt sometime I won't lie. Just wait for that bond to show and then you will be BFF's and likely have no problems
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-31-2016), Lady (11-05-2016), Queen (10-31-2016)