User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nash is KILLING me!!!

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Some male birds will remain hormonal for a long time....I would think he should be starting to wind it down though.Keep lots of destroy able things for him to tear apart to wear off the hormonal rage.If he is unable to mate..the hormones can't really settle out of his system.If you can let him shred paper,wood,phone books ,whatever it can help distract him from the natural hormonal cycle.Forgive my short memory...is he the only bird you have? The hormones could stay active longer if there is a female bird close to him.You could also experiment a bit with a product like a I calm...I'm not sure it would reduce the hormones..but may relax the urge a bit....
    "Ivo"

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Some male birds will remain hormonal for a long time....I would think he should be starting to wind it down though.Keep lots of destroy able things for him to tear apart to wear off the hormonal rage.If he is unable to mate..the hormones can't really settle out of his system.If you can let him shred paper,wood,phone books ,whatever it can help distract him from the natural hormonal cycle.Forgive my short memory...is he the only bird you have? The hormones could stay active longer if there is a female bird close to him.You could also experiment a bit with a product like a I calm...I'm not sure it would reduce the hormones..but may relax the urge a bit....there is also help thru medication your vet can offer to help rebalance his hormones...but I think I would prefer to hold that as a last resort.Hemp seed has been noted as helping to lower the levels as well as caloric intake
    "Ivo"

Parrots

Black Headed Caiques, Budgies, Starling past: Conures, Macaws, Amazons, Cockatiels, Ringneck
    Birds get hormonal when certain factors in their life are present:

1. Long hours of sunlight (breeding season is the warm season- to change this, make sure your bird gets 12 hours of darkness/sleep)
    2. Overabundance of food; presence of rich foods (when there is enough for them and a clutch, they get hormonal. to remedy this just a sprinkle of pellets and greens/veggies- you can replenish a couple times a day, but give the impression of scarcity. No rich foods like eggs, sprouts, or nuts for a while)
    3. A nest site (this can be any dark area, most parrots are cavity nesters- under the sofa, in a closet, a happy hut, a cardboard box- these are all "nests"
    4. The presence of a mate. This can be a human mate- so be wary of full body petting (cockatoos often beg for this, but it contributes to feather destructive and mutilating behaviors as well as aggression and frustration because of hormones). Do not accept regurgitation from your parrot (turn your back). No kisses for a while.
    Squawk and Howl: Parrot-Centric Pet Sitting & Behavioral Consultations in Columbus, Ohio

We also power wash cages, offer avian catering, and more!

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), Lady (09-14-2017), plax (09-12-2017), Quakerella (09-12-2017)