User Tag List

Thread: Hanging Atom

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Question Hanging Atom

Rosie has been spending a good deal of her day in my room. Totally her choice. If she is downstairs and not ON me, she has a very limited tolerance for hanging out on her tree. Screaming generally ensues, which leads to a shower and then her "nap" time, which is most of the day since she is quiet and seemingly happy.

She just has her regular stand in my room which is very basic, it has a hook and one space to hang toys. She doesn't have much use for toys, but I feel like it must be boring so I got her a bunch of new toys for her to hopefully play with upstairs. One of the things I got is a very large hanging atom. She doesn't really like the rope perches, but loves clothing/blanket material. So I got her one that has pink fleece covering it. I asked Jef to hang it, which was promptly met with an EWWW (both at the ugly bright pink atom and the thought of more of Rosie's stuff in his areas) and then he ignored my request. He has left for a work trip and I want to hang it myself if I can, before he returns. Anyway, my question is, does it need to be attached to a stud? I figure we have enough guys and handy girls here that can give me solid advice. I think we have a stud finder, but I won't bother if I don't need it.

Thanks to anyone who read this far and for any advice.
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    With her weight on it and possible moving around causing it to swing, I would look for a stud to screw in a good sized hook. I have a stud finder....they are awesome, very seldom make a mistake with it.
    Good luck with hanging it....post some pics!

3. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (10-17-2016), Lady (10-19-2016), Mare (10-18-2016)

Parrots

Thank you Helena!!
    Rosie & Kendra

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I agree with Helena a stud would be best but if it puts the atom in an odd place, you might be able to get away with using a Molly bolt drywall anchor. Pics, please!! I'm thinking of ordering an atom for Shaggy and Sassy.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2016), kendrafitz (10-18-2016), Lady (10-19-2016)

Only put it in a stud. What with the weight of it and Rosie you want to make sure it isn't going to be coming down. If it was a smaller bird/atom then you would not have to worry as much of it coming down with the ceiling.

If you don't have a stud finder already, buy one and make sure the screw is long enough to go through the dry wall (figure 5/8 inch for the dry wall) so get screws 1-1/4 or 1.5 inch long.

When you drill the pilot hole, make sure you are hitting the stud. You'll be able to see a little wood on the drill bit, then you know for sure you have hit that stud.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2016), kendrafitz (10-18-2016), Lady (10-19-2016)

Parrots

Well, my back is acting up and since we have cathedral ceilings, I think I am going to wait for Jef to hang it. If she plays with it, I will post pics.
    Rosie & Kendra

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2016)