User Tag List

Thread: Thinking about it..

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Thinking about it..

I've had Shaggy home just over a week. She reminds me so much of Amigo, an Umbrella Cockatoo trait, I'm sure. Her wings are clipped, growing back and until today,,I wasn't sure she might be a candidate for free flight. I've had her outside three times today, setting on my arm, sitting in the swing chair with me.

I'm thinking she is definitely female, when the full sun hit her eyes they became a rusty brown color. Most folks would say "nay"..I'm thinking about it..

2. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (10-13-2016)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    My advice is simple: DON'T do it! Amigo was a special case in that he was quite unhappy and unmanageable within your indoor environment. If I remember correctly, you tried giving him outside freedom as a measure of last resort. My impression is that you are not confronted with the same situation in Shaggy's case.

Some important things to consider, are: 1) Amigo may have possessed a stronger homing instinct than Shaggy might. If that turns out to be true and you grant outside freedom to Shaggy, she may simply vanish forever. 2) The outside dangers that Amigo fortunately became versed about may not imprint upon Shaggy in the same way, if at all. And any such differences in her cautionary perceptions could result in a catastrophic end for her. So, as I see it, some important elements came into alignment for Amigo. You may not be so fortunate should you grant Shaggy the same freedom . Granted, Amigo was a U2... as is Shaggy. But despite the similarities they are still different birds. Shaggy is an individual who is unlikely to react in the same ways as Amigo during given situations.

Those are some of my thoughts (and fears), Mare.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2016), Lady (10-16-2016), Mare (10-12-2016), Quakerella (10-12-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thank you for the come-back, Tony..all very important points to consider. It's definitely way too soon to even be thinking about such things. If I did try this, it would be at least a year from now and I would want to imprint recall and myself very strongly in her. I was mostly..just thinking about it..

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2016), Lady (10-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (10-12-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I didn't respond right away as I needed time to process what you were thinking about. You will need to make the decision when the time comes. Tony has made all the points that I would have and stated them much better than I can.
    This comes from my weird moral compass. Although birds/parrots were born to fly, I feel that we have interfered with and changed the natural course of the life of parrots that are raised to be pets. I believe that they have intelligence that we are not totally aware of and that their flock mentality makes them vulnerable to man's will. My gut and heart tells me that at the end of the day, as the parent in my flock, I have to ensure safety at all costs as much as possible. I don't have the right to make decisions which can endanger my parrots life. It's why I have separate rooms specifically for the birds. No cats or dogs allowed.
    I can appreciate the thought of giving the gift of flight. I wish my birds could have it. For me, it's just not worth it.

I know that when the time comes, you will have weighed the pros and cons and that is what you will base your decision on.
    Regardless of what you decide, Shaggy is lucky to have found your home. That already will make a positive change for her.

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (10-16-2016), Mare (10-15-2016), PlaxMacaws (10-12-2016), Quakerella (10-12-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I've not ever been exposed to a stronger, more emphatic force than an umbrella cockatoo..man nor beast. Shaggy is nowhere's near the force Amigo was but she try's to be close . Don't worry, she will not be flying outside anytime soon.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-15-2016), Lady (10-16-2016), PlaxMacaws (10-15-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    I'm so glad that she sits on you It probably best you got a Umbrella Too.I find similar characteristics in same species .When I have had birds pass.I go crazy until I get another of the same species.I so happy things are going well for you.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2016), Mare (10-16-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks, Terri . Yeah, I was thinking of maybe trying out a macaw because I know from you all, how amazing they are. My heart just wouldn't let go of having another U2 in my life. She had been a bit challenging but I know that comes from her being new to us. She is settling in and Tim's afraid she may even like HIM!

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2016), Pinkbirdy (10-16-2016)

Tony is so right. Granted, same species but you cannot count on the same good results.

Getting a Macaw with already having dusty birds would possibly be a death sentence for a Macaw what with them being so susceptible to that dust and I know you would not want to create that situation for one.

16. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2016), kendrafitz (10-16-2016), Mare (10-19-2016), plax (10-16-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I hate to be a bandwagon jumper...but Amigo was a rare situation.Freflight is a dream for those of us with such special companions.Its a terrible thing to watch your beloved pet fly off into the great unknown.....likely never to return.I would take your past experiences and keep them in the past...get a good harness if you want to spend time with Shaggy outside...remember even with well clipped wings it only takes a gust go wind for any bird to take flight.Enjoy her for who she is and your future together.....I'm afraid the past is a memory
    "Ivo"

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (10-19-2016), plax (10-18-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Holy Moly! No, the past is NOT just a memory. I know the fears many have about free flight and they are mostly there because you've not experienced it with your bird or from the stories you've read. It IS a real thing and can be done and it is the scariest thing you can imagine.

I'm not/am afraid, I know the risks involved for my bird. I'm also aware and will know if and when the time might be right, if ever, for my bird. Please don't suppose you know better unless you've done this yourself...Dave, no disrespect intended.
    Last edited by Mare; 10-19-2016 at 04:43 AM.