User Tag List

Thread: Winnipeg Pet Show next weekend

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus

Winnipeg Pet Show next weekend

Well,we decided to participate again in the big pet show here.This year we are the Bird World Feature.We have a 600 square foot space...20ft by 30 ft! We are the entire bird representation,so no worries of our gang catching anything from someone else's bird.I have planned out a display with about 20 cages from smallish up to the big double macaw.We will be showing about 20 or so birds from our Suns to about 5 macaws..Ivo my cockatoo buddy will be along as he's always a big hit.New for us will be our white cheeked turaco..while I suppose technically not a parrot...a pretty cool bird at any show.The display we put on is to showcase the wide variety of companion birds...but more so we spend our time educating the shows guests on the responsibility of having a companion bird as well as cost,safety concerns in the home environment etc.I get to talk pretty much nonstop for 16 hours over two days.
    Wish us luck
    "Ivo"

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-07-2016), kendrafitz (10-16-2016), Lady (10-08-2016), Mare (10-16-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    How exciting! Will the people there be able to handle the birds? Do you hand out any literature? What a great opportunity for people to see so many birds up close.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 10-07-2016 at 10:02 AM.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (10-08-2016), Mare (10-16-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    We don't allow anyone to handle the birds,both for the safety of the birds and the liability if one were to bite.We mainly show off our beauties and answer lots of questions.Last year we convinced several people that a companion bird,while beautiful to look at...may not be the right fit for their lifestyle.Its always a bit of an eye opener that so many people think the commitment ends when they get home with their new showpiece.We spend lots of time explaining how wrong that is.I have often suggested perhaps a goldfish might be more suitable.The birds generally love all the onlookers...my wife and daughter as well as myself..also spend lots of time pulling people's fingers away from cages.Our birds are by no means vicious...but only a fool would put their fingers in a large macaw or cockatoos cage to see what happens.We had a couple thousand folks come thru last year..this year we are the only display representing birds and they have expanded tv,radio and print adds further and more often.....it's all kind of fun
    "Ivo"

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-07-2016), Lady (10-08-2016), Mare (10-16-2016)

Parrots

We don't so much hand out literature as its already several thousand dollars we invest with zero financial return.Between adequate display cages,rental truck,couple days off my other job...booth space runs almost $5000....that's about the best we can do without sponsorship.We do have laminated parrots bill of rights,safe foods,safe woods,and lots of laminated safety items.Since almost everyone has a camera on their phone..if they are interested they are welcome to take a picture.We do this to increase awareness on all aspects of having a bird as part of your family,and the lifestyle changes that may be required to do so.If we can keep a few birds from being spontaneously bought..bounced from home to home to rescue, than its money well spent.
    "Ivo"

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-07-2016), Lady (10-08-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    So cool! Maybe you could take some pics to share with us about how your day goes. Fun, exciting and exhausting sounds like a long rewarding day!

Thanks to you and your family along with your flock!

Parrots

Well day one of the show is done...we had several thousand people thru out display....which was pretty impressive if
    I do say so myself.We spent 16 hours yesterday setting up cages and today was mainly just birds and a few in their smaller cages.Tomorrow is another full day of the show and then tear down..for that they give us 5 hours.Lots of teaching,lots of people learning...overal lots of fun.
    "Ivo"

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2016), kendrafitz (10-16-2016), Lady (10-16-2016), Mare (10-16-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    so glad to hear of your success! I hope you had time to take some pics to share with us .

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2016)

Parrots

We have lots of pics..but most have to be resized to be posted anywhere.Anyone interested can go on Facebook to our photo section to see a few
    We are Balanduk's Exotic Birds Winnipeg on facebook
    "Ivo"

15. The following user likes this post:

Lady (10-22-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Just checked out the pics. Looks like it was a successful event! The birds looked beautiful.