User Tag List

Thread: Anyone have any thoughts on touracos?

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus

Anyone have any thoughts on touracos?

Im just sort of doing some exploring.I think i have one pair of alexanderines I may add and then were thru with adding pairs or singles.A local breeder has a breeding pair of white cheeked touracos that intrigue me.They are retiring from breeding, as such they are selling off their birds.Does anyone here have any good or bad experiance with touracos?They are definately interesting
    "Ivo"

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-20-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I have no experience with touracos, however I have seen them at another breeder's. They are definitely unique and I had contemplated buying one, but the price was a little steep and I believe their lifespan is like 10 years? I'd be interested in what you find out about them.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I've never heard of them, will have to resort to wiki to educate myself
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-20-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I have the opportunity to buy a breeding pair and 3 of their young.They are very interesting birds indeed.I am entertaining the idea as they come from a reputable local breeder.....but we already have a fair bit on our plate..In just not sure what I will do.The price is right....time for reflection.
    "Ivo"

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-20-2016)

Parrots

Well reflection...overrated?I decided it was the proper step to take.So will be picking up a proven breeding pair as well as 3-4 siblings of differing ages.They are very interesting birds.Our first and likely last step into softbills.These are the white cheeked.They are fruit and softbills pellet eaters.They have very strong legs and although they can fly..apparently tend to prefer to jump.Their origin is North Africa and Ethiopia.Next fascinating chapter will start in a couple weeks.
    "Ivo"

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-23-2016), Lady (09-23-2016), lolsavannahh (09-26-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    How exciting! Please post pics when you get a chance. What will you do with the younger ones?

11. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-23-2016)

Parrots

These are one of the only breeding pairs in Canada.There is a gentleman in Ontario that sort of comes with the deal and he buys the young ones to keep on an acreage he has a private zoo on.They will have the chance to be in a large aviary as well as bred with unrelated mates to increase the number of the species here.They arent endangered by any means...just extremely uncommon in Canada.This also gives us the opportunity to educate ourselves and others on the merits of this species of bird.When handtamed they make great pets.
    "Ivo"

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-23-2016), Lady (09-23-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh how very exciting @Cedardave I guess your aren't really getting a pair, but more like a small flock. I, like @Casper's2nd bestfriend;went to research this Turaco as I don't know much about them either.

Parrots

Their lifespan is around 18-20 years
    "Ivo"

16. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-23-2016)