User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Cage Help

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Any luck coming up with a cage or aviary idea for Babylon? I'd be interested to see what you come up with. It might give me ideas for reconfiguring the bird room.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    @kat;

I have no idea about making a cage but will be glad to learn as you take us on your journey and tell us how or what you decide to do.

Parrots

Babylon
    I think we've settled on PVC -- my dad originally wanted wood, but we made a 5ft high jungle gym out of PVC today and I think that helped sell him on it. The whole thing only took about 3 hours. So I'm estimating 6-9 for the aviary? Which is nothing compared to the outdoor one that took weeks, lol. Anyway. What do you recommend for mesh? I don't like to go bigger than 1/2" for him, and he hates screen, but I'm not sure what material is easiest to attach to PVC (his outdoor aviary has 1/4" wire mesh, it's a wood frame so we stapled it in).

Edit -- I found hardware cloth, 1/2" mesh, 19-gauge, pretty cheaply online ($60 for double the amount I need). Thoughts? I'm thinking I can ziptie the mesh to the PVC?

Are we allowed to post outside links? I'd like to link one of the cages I found that looks similar to what I want to make -- I'm kind of confused about how it's built and of course there's no info, just the picture.
    Last edited by kat; 09-12-2016 at 02:14 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try posting the link. As to the material, same mesh you are using on the outside cage? Would it be strong enough to keep him safe from the dogs?

Super Moderator

Parrots

As near as I can tell you are allowed to post a link or perhaps just use the picture icon. We do not allow pics of birds in an unsafe setting, meaning interacting or in a dangerous setting with other subjects that can potentially harm them. A pic of the cage you are considering would be okay.

This is a link to our Bird Safety policy in case you have any further questions: http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...ures-albums%29

Parrots

Babylon
    I'm thinking basically this (link: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/314759461440009082/), but bigger (wider). I found some instructions and I figure I'll modify the latch in front (so that it's actually a latch -- maybe a carribeaner setup?), but other than that, it looks ok? Yes?

Of course, Babs had to throw another kink in my plans. I took him to the vet for feather loss...I thought he was pulling them out from stress or something, but the vet said no, looks like they're just falling out and not coming back (it's only the face/head). His bloodwork came back with some anomalies, nothing conclusive. She recommended observing him and rechecking in a month or so if he's not doing better. Are there any adjustments I should be making to the cage for him? Like...I have no idea what, honestly. Lower perches or something?? But I figured I'd ask. She said his wing feathers are ok so it shouldn't affect his flight.

He's my first bird, and has never had more than a minor illness, so I'm flying totally blind and freaking out a little. I'm just imagining him faltering and slipping off a perch or something.

Super Moderator

Parrots

That cage looks fine and you should be able to make it any size you would like. You could use 1 or two rope perches if you are worried about him slipping off.
    How odd that he is losing feathers like that. Did you take him to an avian vet?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Hey @kat,

If I were you I would be doing a lot of research. I myself don't have any knowledge what it would be to have a Starling as a companion but hopefully someone here might. Perhaps there would be more information on a site like this one I found on the net, but don't leave us here. You have shined a light on a bird I know next to nothing about and would love to learn all about your journey with your sweet little Babs.

http://www.starlingtalk.com/petstarlings.htm

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-18-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Be careful of the wire material you use,as galvanized wire can contribute to heavy metal poisoning.As for the feather loss...if it's only wing feathers and no where else it's not likely a moult.As mentioned this site is all about safety,so be sure your bigger dogs don't have access...maybe build a couple feet off the floor would be a good idea.Cabinets in my opinion are a bad idea as cages...while there are some beautiful ones..air circulation is lacking as well..you never know what sort of lacquer may leach into the enclosure.Next to the feather issue.My first thought when you mentioned your bird was discovered in a closet was that it's obviously a wild bird.A simple thing to try that is harmless and often a good solution is a drop or two of organic apple cider vinegar in the water bowl.If the feathers are just dropping out..it's possible there is a parasite involved...they hate the apple cider vinegar( the parasites..not the birds)Try it for a couple weeks and see if they start to regrow.If it's something more serious they may not come back.Please keep in mind I am not an avian veterinarian...but caregiver for a good number of birds..although no wild ones.Are there raw spots where the feathers have come out?A picture of the area would be helpful.Did the vet mention what sort of abnormalities?
    Last edited by Cedardave; 09-30-2016 at 11:05 PM.
    "Ivo"

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-01-2016), plax (10-02-2016)

Parrots

Angel - Cockatiel Crystal - Budgie Kiwi - Budgie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	259.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	5170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	265.jpg 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	5171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	267.jpg 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	5172

This cage was given to me for free, and it was homemade by someone else. belonged to an elderly lady who died, and well always, the wood is so hard, my cockatiel couldn't even chew it even though he tried! lol. It does have some kind of coating. its got chicken wire. and a slide out tray for cleaning. the added on stuff like the perch on top, toys ect, was me. this cage did great for a long time. it was a quick fix in a pinch, cause my cockatiel came from a different family that no longer wanted him. i hope the pictures help
    Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi