User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Cage Help

Parrots

Babylon

DIY Cage Help

Looking for input/advice/etc. from anyone who has built their own cages. How would you go about creating a large, fairly lightweight but durable indoor aviary or flight cage? I'm thinking 6' long x 2.5' wide x 4' high, preferably with an extra 1-2' of shelf space underneath for food/toys/etc. storage. (I wanted to just buy one but can't find one anywhere near that big on my budget, lol.)

I was thinking of upcycling an old cabinet or entertainment center, but don't know if it's better to just start from scratch? I've also seen stuff using PVC? Ideas welcome.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-07-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi Kat and welcome to the forum. Building an indoor aviary is a great idea. So we can help you better can you tell us what kind of bird(s) you are wanting to build it for?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Kat and welcome, as Helena mentions, we need to know what type of birds as some are more destructive than others, an Amazon or Macaw could trash something that is quite suitable for littlies. I would be looking at making a frame out of aluminium L or box extrusions, lightweight durable and easy to work with.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-07-2016)

Parrots

Babylon
    Ah, I was hoping species wouldn't be important...he's a European Starling. Completely legal to own in NY (USA), just very strange. He is 5 years old and fully flighted (I've never had his wings clipped), if that makes a difference.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-07-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    How interesting, owning a starling. Let me see what I can dig up on caging or aviaries for such a bird. Could you tell us more about him, like how did you get him, what is he like as a "pet". I had a myna bird when I was younger and I wonder if they are similar.

From what I could find out, you could use pvc and bird netting. Do you have other pets that would be in the same room?
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 09-07-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Parrots

Starlings are fascinating birds with wonderful plumage. They turn up here (SE England) in the autumn (fall) after spending the summer in Russia apparently. They seem to time their arrival with the fruiting of the berries on our English Yew tree, gangs of them turn up a couple of times a day, have a few berries each and then all clear off again to raid some other food source.

Parrots

Babylon
    It's a funny story -- I was at school and my teacher found him in the closet. I was working at a vet at the time, so I took him to work. Long story short, the wildlife rehabber didn't have room and suggested I take him home myself. You'll only have him 4-6 weeks, she said. Well it's been 5 years and he still can't catch a worm. The fact that he imprinted on me is a whole separate issue, lol. My poor child.

He's very friendly (but always on his terms). Loves phones more than anything! I used to call home while I was at school (I couldn't have him in the dorms) and he'd fly over and perch on the phone to listen. Far more interested in interacting with my dogs than other birds, unfortunately. I've caught him playing chicken with my Chihuahuas, and I have to keep him separated from my big dogs because he'll try to land on their heads. (I had a friend babysit him once and he almost ended up dog chow when he escaped his cage -- luckily her dog was very docile!) He also loves fish. I have two beta tanks next to his current indoor cage and he watches them all the time (and tries to bust into the tanks when he's loose!). And he's a narcissist. ;P He spends a disturbing amount of time looking at himself in the mirror, and bathes at least once a day, probably more when I'm not looking.

My Chihuahuas won't bother him, but I do have an 80 on GSD -- she's almost never in the room where his cage is, and certainly never unsupervised (and they're never loose together), but to be safe I don't want to make anything too flimsy. The bird himself isn't a big escape artist.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-08-2016), Mare (09-09-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

What a great story. Starlings can sure be mischievous. He sounds very entertaining and you obviously care a lot about him.

I am worried about the interaction between Babylon(is that his name?) and your dogs. Precisely Parrots is founded on advocating safety for our feathered companions and co-mingling between birds and other animals is not advised. Accidents happen so quickly and I would hate to see anything happen to your little bird.

As to cage set up. You will definitely require something durable and sturdy. The cabinet recycling idea could work, but air circulation and cleaning might be a problem. Have you checked Craigslist? Sometimes there are great deals to be found on there. I think "Casper's 2nd best friend" might have an idea or two.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 09-08-2016 at 01:09 AM.

Parrots

Babylon
    The dogs are part of why I want a bigger cage. He loves to see them, and I trust my Chihuahuas not to chase him (they're old), but I don't trust him to leave them alone. I didn't use to worry, but he didn't use to be so bold. He's never gotten within touching range of the dogs (apart from the babysitting incident), but I don't want to push my luck. Catching him playing chicken was kind of the tipping point for me on that issue. I figure with a bigger cage, he can still see them and do his silly thing (racing around squawking at them), but be safely separated.

I've been on Craigslist looking at cabinets and materials, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-08-2016)

Parrots

Do a Google search for "building an aviary" and you will find lots of advice, some of which might be useful. If it is for use indoors I would highly recommend that it is on wheels or castors, it will be quite heavy and you will need to get behind it to clean up the mess that all birds love to make.
    What sort of tools do you have? Do you have any carpentry or metalworking experience?
    If starting from scratch, I would make a framework out of 1x1x1/8" aluminium L section either pop-riveted or bolted (use stainless steel fixings).
    The reason I would use aluminium instead of plastic (pvc) is that it is more rigid and you are talking quite a lot of flexibility in a six foot length. However, a framework made out of 1.25" or 1.5" pvc plumbing pipe would be very light and manoeuverable so worth considering. You would also have ready source T pieces and elbows.
    Once you have got your basic box shape you will need some wire or nylon mesh of a suitable size that the bird cannot get itself caught up. Then you need to consider how to get in and out, both the bird and yourself for cleaning. Then work out how to support and fix perching places. Copying what others have done and learning from their mistakes.
    You can begin to see why these things are so expensive to buy ready made, but they have the advantage of mass production economies so perhaps the place to start is to make a rough design, list all the materials you will need and do a costing. Then compare this to the cost of buying a ready made (self assembly) unit.
    What you won't get from buying ready made is the satisfaction of designing, problem solving and making your own aviary.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 09-08-2016 at 10:03 AM.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-08-2016), Mare (09-09-2016)