User Tag List

Thread: How do you recycle toys?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

How do you recycle toys?

We have been doing a bit of cupboard tidying and have realised that Casper has a bin full of toys/ladders/swings that have either been lightly played with or totally ignored.
    Can we give them to an animal shelter, try and make them more appealing to him or what...?
    Suggestions please
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If you have a number of them, you might try selling them via an ad. Usually a shelter won't take them due to risk of bacteria etc being passed on.
    I had the same issue with this so I began taking them apart and recreating something new with what was left and usable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it bombs...you never know what they will like.

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-06-2016), Lady (09-10-2016), Mare (09-09-2016), Quakerella (09-18-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I also like to try to create something new out of older toys that have been slightly used. Sometimes I just take them apart, clean and dry them well and have to store them in plastic resealable bags until I need to use them. I also like to rearrange Lady's cage at least twice a month to give it a new look and have found that she will often play with toys that she didn't pay attention to when it was in another location.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-10-2016), Dragonlady2 (09-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I dismantle toys that have broken or badly chewed pieces and use the remainder of the parts that are still good for foot toys. Birds really enjoy them.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-18-2016), Dragonlady2 (09-19-2016), Lady (09-19-2016)