User Tag List

Thread: Baby chipmunks!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Baby chipmunks!

Yes, Mama Mare is at it again! . My son's girlfriend had found a batch of four, abandoned young babies on a hike in the mountains. She watched them, from afar, for hours, to make sure they were truly abandoned. After a week of trying to keep these little ones alive, the kids came to me asking for my help.

First off..they were cold to the touch. I know from dealing with baby cockatiels,,this is not good! I hooked the little ones up with the baby cockatiel's original abode, (ten gallon aquarium), setting on a heating pad, on low with a folded towel over it. The kids were feeding them warm puppy formula which is good but they were using a baby kitten bottle with a nipple that was too large. A syringe or eye dropper is best.

I'm happy to report at this time, they are starting to eat and bink/bounce all over the place! I need a new IPad. My photobucket sucks at kicking out photos for posting

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-29-2016), kendrafitz (08-29-2016), Lady (09-03-2016), plax (08-29-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Get that new iPad! I love chipmunks....can't wait to see some pics!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (08-29-2016), Mare (08-30-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I'm with Helena. Get the new iPad. Can't wait to get a cuteness overload of baby chipmunks and 'tiels!!!

Way to go Mare, you are a very good Mommy to humans and animals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-29-2016), Mare (08-30-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Mare...I guess your grateful you don't live in an area you may happen upon abandoned gorilla or hippopotamus.��
    "Ivo"

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-30-2016), Mare (08-30-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedardave View Post
    Mare...I guess your grateful you don't live in an area you may happen upon abandoned gorilla or hippopotamus.��

Oh, nooo, Dave...Tim is grateful! . I would take those babies on in a heartbeat!

Thank you, Kendra, my kids think so
    Last edited by Mare; 08-30-2016 at 03:08 AM.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-30-2016), kendrafitz (08-30-2016), Lady (09-03-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    While we are waiting for Mare's pics here are some babies to look at. http://www.northrup.org/photos/chipmunk/

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (09-03-2016), Mare (08-31-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks, Helena! You've got the picture! The babes that I have are younger than any you see there. I'm waiting for the right moment to strike Best Buy to buy a new IPad, the kids say online is best but I like having a place I can go talk with folks if I need help...yeah,,I'm old fashioned

They are starting to thrive but I don't want them to be too in tune to humans. We are planning on setting them back from where they came.

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-31-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    But @Mare, if you send them back who's going to keep them warm at night???? Will they be okay to release already?

@Dragonlady2, nice link, but at the bottom of page one it says: "Eastern Chipmunks are mostly solitary, except for mating season in the Spring. They do communicate, however, with a high, birdlike chipping noise that gives them their name." So if they sound like birds wouldn't that mean they chirp, not chip?? Should some one named them Chirpmunks instead, lol......

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-03-2016)