User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling like a failure..

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Aww Savannah,

She now has a taste of how wonderful it is to be out of the cage as well as having Nash and you. This is all still new to her. It reminds me of when our children got in the walker. They at first just stood still but once they realized they could go everywhere and touch everything we had to start blocking things off, moving them out of their reach or teach them no. What happened when we told them no....I know mine like most would fuss, cry and show us they didn't want not to be allowed to do what they now could do.

I agree that with patience and time, and a trying some of the suggestions you have been given here that you will find a way to teach her what is acceptable and what isn't.

You could also open the cage door, allow her to step on your finger then put your hand back in the cage and have her step off and give her a reward like the millet. Teach her a word to associate that when she steps back down in her cage she will get a reward.
    When I trained dogs, we would give them "Jackpot" rewards when they did something that we really wanted to associate with what they did. So sometimes you can give her some millet and something else that she doesn't get everyday but really enjoys.

You will get there~

2. The following 2 users like this post:

lolsavannahh (08-09-2016), The Pinkertons (08-10-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Thank you all! I will give everything you guys suggested a shot! Unfortunately I had to run errands today and didn't get home til just now, almost 8 PM and I would rather not get her out now, knowing my family will be going to sleep soon and so will I.. I want to get her out when I have many hours ahead of me to be able to get her back in
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-09-2016)