User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!! | Budgie in retirement home

Small updates. Told staff I was wondering who was taking care of the birds and she replied it was a wonderful volunteer who cared for both the fish and the birds but I to be honest was a bit too. Idk. Anxious, I guess, to instantly say that his diet isn't right and he needs more entertainment in his cage. I'm going back soon again and will pick up a perch if staff gives me permission to do so. Also will ask if they could pass on a message to this volunteer about the birds' diet and toys for that one budgie specifically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2016), The Pinkertons (08-13-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Well it is nice that someone is volunteering to take care of the bird and fish, it is sad that none of the staff follows up and learns if they are being taken care of adequately. I would then take the thought that the bird (s) and fish are there as perhaps just something to look at . They are not anyone in particulars loved and cherished companion. I hope you get permission to give the little one something more to enrich it's time there.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-15-2016), Mare (08-15-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Whilst we were on our holiday we stopped in at the care home where my mother lives. The first question the staff asked us was not "how are you?" but "did you bring the parrot?" They love him visiting. I think that to be a carer you need to be a compassionate person and they generally care about animals and birds as well but may need a bit of education and encouragement if they do not have pets in their home life.
    There may be residents there who could help too if they had birds when they were able to look after themselves.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-15-2016), Lady (08-17-2016), Mare (08-15-2016), plax (08-15-2016), The Pinkertons (08-15-2016)

Updates!

I've managed to pass on a message to the volunteer, whom I've also met a little while later and was a lovely young lady who was very interested in what I had to say about the diet and the seed mix has been upgraded to something with a lot more variety in the time I haven't replied to this thread, and fresh vegetables are given when available, which isn't every day but usually every other day. I just arrived back in Europe and through family I've also heard that the bird now has a new natural wooden perch that splits into two and what I think is a sandy perch (they described it as a rougher, thicker perch that looked slightly grainy), so it seems to have improved.

I also considered getting the residents interested but most of them are kind of, well, not doing too great mentally and either forget about the bird moments after they leave or they simply can't hold a conversation anymore, so, yeah. I've managed to get one member of the staff interested though and she told me she'd keep an eye on him so that's great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-25-2016), Dragonlady2 (08-25-2016), kendrafitz (08-26-2016), Lady (08-27-2016), plax (08-26-2016), The Pinkertons (08-25-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Thanks for the update Alex, your actions are much appreciated as we all care a lot about bird welfare. Do you have birds at home? perhaps you could start another thread introducing us to them. I apologise in advance if you have already done this and I have somehow missed it.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (08-28-2016), plax (08-26-2016), The Pinkertons (08-25-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update and thanks for caring enough to follow through.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (08-28-2016), plax (08-26-2016), The Pinkertons (08-25-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    That is awesome!! You really did a wonderful thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-28-2016), Lady (08-28-2016), plax (08-26-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    WOW Alex,

This update is great to read. You have done well! It isn't easy to always approach someone when we have a concern about how they're handling something that they have in their care. It is awesome to know that there are folks like you that will speak up for those who can't.
    How wonderful that the staff member is willing to also keep an eye on the little budgie and make sure s/he is being looked after.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-28-2016), plax (08-28-2016)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    You have done such a great job advocating for this little budgie! Awesome!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-28-2016), Lady (08-28-2016), plax (08-28-2016)