User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Alice, I'll for sure have to keep the males separate from the females, they've proven to be a very prolific species!

I took this pic yesterday, they are getting bigger everyday..going on three weeks tomorrow. I have a question..

...they get so excited AT feeding time and even AFTER being fed, they will grab each other's beaks and quickly bob like they are being fed by each other!? I'm assuming this is just natural instinct, my concern is..should I be concerned that they are going to hurt each other's beak by doing this?..does that make sense?..

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Blancaej (08-13-2016), Dragonlady2 (08-07-2016), Lady (08-09-2016), Maddy (08-16-2016), plax (08-07-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Those babies are so cute, Mare! You are doing a wonderful job with them.

As for them hurting each other with their beaks....I don't know for sure, but this probably happens with other clutches, maybe someone else has a good answer for you.Do they stay in that container? Maybe they need more room?
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 08-07-2016 at 03:30 PM.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-09-2016), Mare (08-07-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thanks, Helena! Yes, they are getting cuter every day . I keep them in this Tupperware bowl most of the time. This bowl sits in a ten gallon fish tank, with a screen lid, that is also lined with paper towels and pine shavings. At feeding time, I pull them out of the bowl to run around in the tank, they are hilarious the way they run after each other's beaks and get to tumbling onto their backs! I pull them out to feed, one at a time, then back into the bowl. They eventually settle into one big birdie bundle to nap.

I worry that as their beaks become harder, they might hurt each other.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-07-2016), Lady (08-09-2016)

Banned

@Cedardave probably would have a good answer to your concern

they get so excited AT feeding time and even AFTER being fed, they will grab each other's beaks and quickly bob like they are being fed by each other!? I'm assuming this is just natural instinct, my concern is..should I be concerned that they are going to hurt each other's beak by doing this?..does that make sense?..

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-08-2016), Lady (08-09-2016), Mare (08-08-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Its a natural reaction after feeding.They use the interaction to both clean one anothers beaks and express dominance in trying to take any food that may be left there.As we all know, birds mimic..there is a slight componant of the feeding action being reproduced to one another...often this never really goes away.As for injuring one another...it depends at what stage of developement each of them are at.They likely hatched one every other day or so.The beak of the oldest is going to be only marginally stronger than the youngest.Injury is not impossable..but unlikely...to the beak.The bigger concern is to keep an eye on the toes oddly enough.Because the feet are so bendy and the bones have yet to harden, they can be suseptable to unintentional amputation by their clutchmates.This isnt a common occurance,but does happen.Be cautious also to begin allowing them opportunity to perch.They are still quite small,but to offer a low securelace to perch will prevent them from developing splayed leggs(the legs spread and grow further apart than normal).They look pretty happy and healthy.Well done
    "Ivo"

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Blancaej (08-13-2016), Dragonlady2 (08-08-2016), Lady (08-09-2016), Mare (08-08-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thank you, Dave! As far as the perch thing, I'm reading that around four weeks to introduce them to a cage with a low perch. Do I need to set this baby on the perch to demonstrate how this works?..or will he/she figure it out on it's own? I also have a question about the tiny feet at this age. The oldest one, I've been noticing, has one of it's rear toes, wanting to point forward. Should I encourage it to go back where it belongs or will that happen on it's own..? I surely appreciate any advice you have, thank you!

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-08-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Interesting that the baby birds may potentially injure the toes of their clutchmates. I have seen lots of ads indicating that the babies lost a toe while in the nest, but most of the time it was implied that it was done by a parent. Makes sense that the babies would also do this unintentionally.
    Mare, you have received some very good information from Dave. Good thing we have someone on PP that can assist you while you are going through this. You will probably be able to assist others who may be experiencing this once you've raised these little ones.
    Keep those pictures coming.

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (08-09-2016), Mare (08-08-2016), The Pinkertons (08-08-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

For sure, Helena! Dave is the go to guy when bringing up babies, I appreciate his knowledge and help! I will gladly share whatever I learn along my journey, also . I'll try and get some new pics up later today. If I can get Tim to help me with some pics, I'll hold them in my hands so you can see how big the little pin cushions are getting!

16. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-08-2016), Lady (08-09-2016), plax (08-08-2016), The Pinkertons (08-08-2016)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Mare if you can get the toe into its natural position somehow that would be ideal.Otherwise as the bones harden it will stay where it is now.You may have to get creative with a popsicle stick and some medical tape for a couple days.As for the perching...they will figure it out on their own.We usually place them on the perch when we put them back after feeding.
    "Ivo"

18. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-09-2016), Lady (08-09-2016), Mare (08-09-2016), The Pinkertons (08-09-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks, Dave! The toes are starting to figure things out, I sure appreciate your advice . I started today, to bring the little ones out, one at a time, to hang out with me, giving them some one on one loving and scritches for around 15mins. at a time. They are starting to tolerate me and my ways so I think we might be on a good path

20. The following 6 users like this post:

Blancaej (08-13-2016), Dragonlady2 (08-09-2016), kendrafitz (08-10-2016), Lady (08-09-2016), plax (08-10-2016), The Pinkertons (08-09-2016)