User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuff for your birds to do

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (08-03-2016), plax (07-28-2016), SquawkandHowl (09-12-2017)

Banned

Good Article

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-28-2016)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    That was a great article. It had many things on there that I do already but gave me some great new ideas as well! Thanks for sharing!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-28-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I like this information and bookmarked it as I'm sure it will come in handy.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Thank you for posting this Helena. I feel that Charlie will benefit from this as he has taken to screaming lately when he is bored.

I am going to try some of these on the list.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2016), Lady (07-30-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I keep looking for things for my Eclectus to do. He is in a double macaw cage, but gets bored easily. Ekkies have a reputation of being perch potatoes, but Willy is busy most of the day. He seldom, if ever, naps like my other birds. He is unable to eat pellets due to toe tapping and wing flipping. He is fine when he just has a fresh food and a little seed treat at the end of the day. He is too interested in preening his feathers right now so I am constantly on the look out for innovative things to give him.

12. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-30-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Great article, Helena, thanks for sharing! I needed some new ideas for our Sassy girl . You mention that Willy's unable to eat pellets because of toe tapping and wing flipping..what does that mean..?.. If left up to my imagination, I can think of many things that probably aren't the truth.

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-03-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Mare, I feed Willy a fresh food diet only with a few seeds at the end of the day. The digestive tract of an Eclectus is longer than most birds so they are able to extract more of the nutrients from their food. They really should not need any pellet as they are usually fortified. For Ekkies, they react to that extra fortification. Toe tapping and wing flipping are two of those ways, as well as plucking etc. Toe tapping....the toe(s) will involuntarily stick out straight and contract. As it contracts, you can hear the nail click against the perch. He has no control over it. Same as wing flipping. People always think their bird is wing flipping, but in an Ekkie, it is involuntary. The wings snap back against the body, it's not a rearranging of feathers. The sound is like a hollow clap. So, I can imagine you thinking he's doing a jig on his perch....lol.
    I have tried TOPS, my favourite unfortified pellet, but he just does not like them, so I put everything but the kitchen sink into his chop and add dried herbs to cover nutritional needs.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 08-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.

16. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-03-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Ok! Thanks for the explanation, I had never heard of such a thing..interesting!

18. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-03-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lady and the egg carton.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	4919
    I think Lady has the egg carton idea down.

20. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-07-2017), plax (05-07-2017)