User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stuff for your birds to do

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    Great read thanks for posting it

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-08-2017), Lady (05-07-2017), Quakerella (05-08-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Tony put up a suggestion about giving birds empty plastic water bottles to play with and what a success it has been with Casper. He chases it around the floor and is getting lots of excercise. Once he has trapped it in a corner and given it a good bruising he just wanders off.
    Thanks Tony, all the expensive toys we buy just get ignored, this is brilliant and free.
    I'll post some photos or video soon, they will probably be blurred because it is all quite frantic.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-19-2017), Lady (11-19-2017), Quakerella (11-21-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Tony put up a suggestion about giving birds empty plastic water bottles to play with and what a success it has been with Casper. He chases it around the floor and is getting lots of excercise. Once he has trapped it in a corner and given it a good bruising he just wanders off.
    Thanks Tony, all the expensive toys we buy just get ignored, this is brilliant and free.
    I'll post some photos or video soon, they will probably be blurred because it is all quite frantic.
    You're welcome, Jean-Pierre. I'm happy to know Casper has discovered a new channel of enjoyment
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-19-2017), Lady (11-19-2017), Quakerella (11-21-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Here is a picture of Casper playing with his bottle. It seems tapatalk won’t upload videos so i will have to do it via Onedrive. Stay tuned

1st clip uploaded
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiShclt2ghrmhHfZVjjsMxYMNPLj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 11-30-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-30-2017), kendrafitz (12-16-2017), Lady (12-03-2017), Lisa (04-10-2020), PlaxMacaws (11-30-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Casper is on a mission...lol. I use measuring cups and spoons from the dollar store and holy roller balls from the dog toy section.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-30-2017), Lady (12-03-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-30-2017), Quakerella (12-02-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Nice to see Casper enjoying his new object of amusement . The bottle seems about the right size for him. My macaws, of course, get the large 1-gallon jugs. Zaf loves to grab and hold on to the handle part with his foot as he carries the jug up the side of his cage. He uses his other foot in conjunction with his beak to climb, and he flaps his wings for good measure on the way up
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-30-2017), Lady (12-03-2017), Quakerella (12-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    How cute he is! Did he manage to get the treat out of it? I have been drinking from half size water bottles so I can see if Lady would be interested as well. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. It takes her some time to get use to new objects so she has to be desensitized first.

Oh wow this was a really useful article and resource. Do check out the initial pages of esp chapter 43 of Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life for some very interesting facts on birds, especially parrots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Oh wow this was a really useful article and resource. Do check out the initial pages of esp chapter 43 of Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life for some very interesting facts on birds, especially parrots.
    I have also began reading about various anthologies containing creative writing and bird- related sample science questions. They have been wonderfully enriching and helping me maintain a journal. Yesterday's prompt was bird's wings.