User Tag List

Thread: Saddest experience of my life

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash

Saddest experience of my life

I was not sure where to post this.. but I want to make this separate from the other post about these 400 birds taken from a single home in Georgia...

I went to go volunteer the other day for these birds, and as soon as I walked through the door my heart sank. Cage after dirty wretched cage these birds lined an entire warehouse/office building complex. Some in such small cages, it was hard to fit a food and water bowl in it.. the stench absolutely nauseating. They were halfway through moving the birds from the smaller cages to larger ones, but we were running out of cages. 50 or more amazon parrots, 100 or more Lorikeet parrots.. all malnourished, sad, and fearful. I was happy to see that the majority of them still had good feathering, but the ones who didn't were bare. No feathers. Their bodies shook and their mouths open in fear. Some knew we were trying to help, but some screamed for us to stay back. Even after being out of that horrible house where they had no food or water, some we still dying from the trauma, or because they didn't know that this was food for them.. that we were here to help. These birds have gone through more than I can imagine, I don't even know how long they had been in there for.
    But they were happy now. They talked to us until they fell asleep, they all let us reach our hand into their small cage and grab their dirty waters to give them cleaner ones. They didn't try to fight, they didn't try to bite. None of the birds are tamed and most will probably have to go to sanctuaries where they will fly all day every day for the rest of their beautiful lives. There was one I remember, a cockatoo... I couldn't even tell what kind he was because he was so badly beaten up. His beak so overgrown I wondered how he ate, his claws so long they probably bent his feet at 45 degree angles when he walked.. but despite that, he would just talk to you. He would get up close to you in his 1 ft by 2 ft cage and he would say hello and laugh and mumble.. He probably had not been handled in years or more, his blue eyes sunken and big, but he knew we were there to help. I was worried with how sharp his beak was how I was going to get the food and water out.. but he just stayed there and let me take it right from in front of him.. no fuss, no screeching, nothing. He was older you could tell, I didn't know how long he has been with the guy but I figured it was a while. He was one of the only cockatoos there.
    The lorikeets were given the powder for nectar while in his house, but never any water, and always seeds. I was surprised how they had all made it to live this long and finally get liberation. They hopped and sang all about and happily took water and nectar from the bowls as I put them in the cages, 5 or more in one cage at least. Some were babies, some older. They jumped on my arms and all around the cage and filled my lungs with laughter, I know they will get great homes. Some amazons were so scared of humans that when you walked by the cage any faster than a crawl, they would drop to the floor and scream and flail around.
    The work is hard, we have to clean every cage every day, give them new waters 2-3 times a day, new food twice, but it is worth it. They go from 9 am to 9 pm, and sometimes are still not finished cleaning cages. We do it for them not for us, and I hope one day they will all have a family to call their own where they can be a very happy bird to them and can live out the rest of their very long lives.. Until then we will still need all of your help. Thank you all for being as understanding as you are.
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Savannah, this must be terribly gruelling for you, but maybe instead of looking at how horrible it is, you can take some joy in seeing how the birds respond to your help. It will take some time, but with your dedication and others, their lives are changing for the better.

And yes, these are the saddest stories that leave us as bird owners, at a loss to understand how it gets this bad.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (07-22-2016), lolsavannahh (07-22-2016), PlaxMacaws (07-22-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    So sad, I can not fathom how someone could get this out of control. Thankfully there are folks like you, Savannah, that are there to help. If I lived closer, I would definitely be on board!

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-22-2016), Lady (07-22-2016), lolsavannahh (07-22-2016), PlaxMacaws (07-22-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Savannah you are an angel of mercy. I hope I never have to be in your situation, it must be so distressing. My heart goes out to you and all the poor little mites who had no voice in how they were mistreated.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-22-2016), Lady (07-22-2016), lolsavannahh (07-22-2016), PlaxMacaws (07-22-2016)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Wow! Thank goodness for all the volunteers helping these poor birds. It is just so sad to read about their conditions and what they are going through. Thank god they were found!! Let's hope most survive. Thank you Savannah for doing this. I know it must be difficult.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

9. The following 4 users like this post:

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    The hardship situations certain humans impose upon captive birds are truly heartwrenching . I'm unable to comprehend how anyone might become so out of control with so many sentient lives. It seems like there should have been many alerts along the way. Large scale cases such as this one are especially disturbing. These beautiful birds have not only been neglected to the point of serious health deterioration and, in some cases, even agonizing death. They have as well been precluded from the natural freedoms they so deserve. These are natural, wild creatures who have not been given the option of thriving among their natural environments... all because of humans, their lust for profit, and their abuse-of-control issues. Human society largely perpetuates this horrific injustice and sadly there's no end in sight . It just makes me sick!

The noble efforts of people like yourself, Savannah, who selflessly give their time and put energy into helping these defenseless, choice-less, magnificent (but abused) beings to regain a measure of health, security, dignity and love in their lives, is indeed a refreshing thing to behold! Thank you so very much from all of us who deeply care!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-22-2016), Dragonlady2 (07-22-2016), Lady (07-22-2016), lolsavannahh (07-22-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    My prayers are with you and all of those who are so selflessly giving their time to help these birds. Of course and the birds themselves.

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-22-2016), lolsavannahh (07-23-2016), plax (07-22-2016)