User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I interact with a parrot?

Parrots

Not sure what kind of parrot it is.

How do I interact with a parrot?

Hi guys, I recently bought 2 parrots, they are both Fischer's Lovebird. This is my first time having a pet bird and I'm not sure how I am supposed to spend time with it. Could you guys give me some tips on how to play with my pet parrot? Or any activities that could make them entertained?

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome Paul, I hope we can help you. We will probably need some questions answered so we can identify what you need to do but please don't be put off.
    Parrots love to interact with humans although a pair like you have won't need as much input as they can help each other. Spend as much time as you can with them, talking to them, singing or whistling and pretty soon you will become aware of their characters.
    We love pictures so I hope you can post some.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), Lady (07-23-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum Paul! I haven't had lovebirds, but I know there are members here that have lovebirds that will be able to give you some advice.
    How long have you had them? How old are they?

I agree with casper's 2nd best friend, that spending time with them will help you to understand them better. For right now, all I can say is to make sure they have some hanging toys to explore with their beaks. See if they will take treats, like a piece of almond or walnut, from your fingers or your hand. Let them come to you, don't push your hand to them, unless they are already trained to step up on your finger. They may not be ready for this step yet, so you may have to wait until they are more comfortable before trying again.

Looking forward to some pictures, and please feel free to ask as many questions as you want, that's what we are here for.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-20-2016), Lady (07-23-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ksudddusk View Post
    Hi guys, I recently bought 2 parrots, they are both Fischer's Lovebird. This is my first time having a pet bird and I'm not sure how I am supposed to spend time with it. Could you guys give me some tips on how to play with my pet parrot? Or any activities that could make them entertained?
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots Support Forum, you have received some terrific advice from members on here . I'm sure there will be more of us that welcome any questions you may have about ,diet, housing, training, enrichment , and so on. Amongst our group are some very knowledgeable members that have lovebirds. I want to commend you on taking the first steps in responsible companion bird ownership !

Once Again Welcome
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-19-2016 at 05:01 PM.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), Lady (07-24-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Welcome to the forum! I own two lovebirds as well, and they are terrific! They can be very off putting though if you don't know what you're doing.. they are very territorial and can be aggressive if not trained properly. You really need to gain trust with them. I recommend target training them ( you can look up parrot target training and find SO many different styles and techniques.. find what works for you! )

Now like I said, they are territorial, and if they are together they will be even more so. Keeping parrots in the same cage is perfectly fine but lovebirds will be a bit tricky with you unless raised right. If they are older don't try to separate them, but if they are young it may be a good option to keep in mind that separating them will be better for bonding with them. You can take them out of the cage and let them fly around and just inspect everything. Mine still like to explore and he has been with me for a year!(: If they are tamed, try to give it "scritches" which is just rubbing one finger around their neck and face area.. stay away from petting it like a dog down the back, this can give it feelings that you are trying to mate with it.

You can give them millet ( mines FAVORITE treats ) with your hand, or just put it in the cage for snack time.. Read to them, talk to them, sing to them, they really like to feel included. Try to have them out of the cage for at least 2 hours every day so they can forage in some toys ( You can make really easy foraging toys out of paper towel and toilet paper rolls and paper ( just put some millet inside them... look it up XD )

They can be so fun and interactive if they trust you! Lovebirds are a mean little thing by nature, but I honestly haven't been harshly bit by my male in a few months.. so if they trust you enough they will be nice haha.. don't worry if you get bit.. it WILL happen with lovies XD Good luck on your journey and please ask any questions you have we would all love to reply!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

10. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-20-2016), Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), Lady (07-23-2016), mdg1109 (07-20-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Hi Paul and welcome to forum. It is a great wealth of information. I have a couple questions? How old are the birds and are they hand tamed?

A great resource for new bird owners is Birds for Dummies. I read it before we got our birds and it was very helpful in teaching us how to interact with them and what is acceptable and not acceptable.

Congratulations on your new additions, if you get a chance share some pictures!

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-20-2016), Lady (07-24-2016), lolsavannahh (07-22-2016), The Pinkertons (07-24-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Paul,

Hope you come back and check out the advice you have been given so far. I would like to hear about how you are keeping them. Like Savannah said they can be kept in separate cages so that they will bond more strongly with you. You do it by spending one on one time with them. It might be best to let one out of the cage, let it fly around in a safe area where they can not get hurt. Read up on all the possible things that can be a hazard in our homes before you release them. Once he or she is a bit tired out walk closer to him and offer a bit of millet, do this in the morning before they have eaten so they are hungry and interested in taking the food from you.
    We would love to see some pics of them .

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-23-2016)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Hi Paul,

I am away at the moment and don't have a lot of time to post but wanted to at least welcome you to the forum and congratulate you on your new lovebirds!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-27-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hi, Paul! Welcome to you and your new additions . What did you name them?

18. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-27-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Has the OP been back at all?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom