User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 400 birds seized from Georgia doctors home..

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    A very good and important topic. Thanks to each of you for your input... it's very much appreciated!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-20-2016), Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016)

Banned

Thank you Christine

I am so glad to see this site talking about the situation. Most are ignoring it.
    @Christine;

I want to thank you for the recognition of our Mission here on P.P.'s Genuine Compassion , Support and Wellbeing, for all captive birds...we are their voice.

Once again thank you for setting us apart , it's a great compliment.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-19-2016 at 08:08 PM.

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinenc2000 View Post
    It is heartbreaking. From what I understand most of the hoarders start off with just one or two. People will drop off their unwanted and it blooms from there.

One hoarder said they would contact people on Craigs list offering to just take the bird. Most would say no but after they can't sell they would call the hoarder back telling them to just come take the bird.

If you listen to the News Reporter she stated there is a regulation in place they could only have three dogs on a lot that size . NOTHING in place saying how many Birds. RAID AT ATLANTA DOCTOR'S HOME: Hundreds of birds living in poor conditions seized from home | WSB-TV

Most rescues operate on donations. A few do not adopt birds out. I know there is one in NC that does not adopt out and they are growing. Relying on donations and free labor to build more outside Aviary for the birds and food donations. The birds stay outside all year. When asked they say the birds adapt to the weather. They cover the outside aviary with plastic. They are doing well now but what happens when/if Donations stop . The owner is left to care for these birds alone.

There are no regulations in place. No one wants to be told how many birds they can keep. If you start taking in dogs there are regulations in place. You are required to have a kennel permit. Should the same not be put in place for the protection of the Birds ? Don't attack the poster I am just asking a question. A lot of people would be placed in the regulation of having to have a Permit because of the number of birds they keep. I have two dogs and I am required to have a license for them. Tags. Shots . Are birds any less important ?

I only have one bird. Two years this coming October. I do not have the time or money to care for more than one . So I know my limit. Working a full time job there just is no time. BUT what if I were home all day . Who knows.

This is the 3rd time I have read about it in less than 30 days. Most of the posters are just saying I can take a few. Flippers come out in great numbers wanting " a few of the birds " . Birds are adopted out. People are happy. The situation went away. On to the next.

I am so glad to see this site talking about the situation. Most are ignoring it.
    I agree, you need to have some kind of permit to own more than say 2 birds.. parrots are a huge responsibility and are very exotic creatures that just about everyone wants to own but doesn't want to do the work or money.. it's sad
    I volunteer for Papayago Rescue house here in GA, near the area of the hoarding raid, but recently as many of you may know the Papayago had to shut down all operations and we all had to take in a bird or more for fostering.. Paperwork and legalities and all are in place and even the Department of Agriculture could come to my house to inspect technically.. We cannot take in any more birds, but we are still helping any ways we can.. Volunteer days to come, toy/food drives and fundraising. When Papayago gets a new house or storefront we will be moving the birds there, all 40 of them, ( if we have 40 birds and it was stuffing our house... I can't even imagine how this guy had 400 in any dekalb county home... ) and will likely be in contact with the shelter to take as many as we humanly can.. but it won't be a lot likely.
    I am really glad too that we are discussing this specific topic, but also other situations like this and are brainstorming ways that this could be prevented in the future.. I am always glad to be a part of this community!(:

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1109 View Post
    Just a thought, but you could reach out to the local pet stores and see if they would be willing to donate some items like cages food etc.

Also, A&E cage company might be willing to donate....just some thoughts

Those poor birds, this is heartbreaking.
    I will contact any local stores, but it is few and far between out here with stores that have bird stuff. Petsmart and Petco are large vendors, but I highly doubt they would be willing to give anything away for free considering they sell small bags of millet for 10$ here.. *sigh*

A&E sounds like a good idea.. I will try to get in contact with them! Thank you!
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Savannah, I understand what you mean the PetSmart here is full of stuff that is overpriced and gets destroyed within minutes of bringing it home and does not carry the healthy food for the birds.

The Petco where I live does not have a large bird selection also but we have made friend with the store manager as she truly has a zoo and is very passionate about animals. If you send me the information of where the birds went I will reach out to her and see if maybe she can go through a higher channel to maybe get some items donated for the birds that were rescued.

Thank you for all that you do for our feathered friends.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-20-2016), lolsavannahh (07-22-2016), Mare (08-13-2016)

Parrots

@mdg1109
    She or anyone you know can send donations to the Dakalb county animal services address in Dekalb Georgia. They will accept all donations and from there the volnteers must pick up and bring the cages, food, toys, etc. to the undisclosed location where the birds are currently being held. Right now we need toys of all sizes, Zupreem pellets ( they have colored ones now so I say stick to that so we don't switch the brand of food up too much ), large bird cages (we have millions of Amazons that need appropriately sized cages, they CAN be used cages! ), newspaper, Simply green cleaning spray, 5 gal buckets, watering cans with a single hole lid ( not a gardening one with many holes ), treats, millet, perches, nectar for lorikeets, annddd... I think that is it right now.. I can add to the list as it comes but if any of you can ship that to them or drop it off that would be awesome!

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-22-2016), Lady (07-22-2016)

Parrots

Update on birds:

We have a feather AND a beak disease outbreak among them.. We have hopefully taken out all of the carriers of the disease and have moved them all to another building where they are getting treated. Remaining birds are still getting new and bigger cages. we moved some cockatiels out to a bigger cage and they were all friendly!(: A lot of the birds are which makes me SO happy. We have a hawkhead and he has chosen his one woman as his own.. hates everyone else XD. There is a lori that has chosen me, he is very cute and super playful! Bites everyone else who goes near him but has never ever bitten me.

I hope to go again this sunday before school starts up on monday... hate that I can't go when school is in except for sundays.

We are in dire need of volunteers... nobody showed up today and there were 2 people ( who run the thing and sleep there ) who were there and had to do it all.. If i didn't have to work 8 hours every day at inconvenient times, then have my parrots to come home to I would be there every day.. unfortunately I live an hour and a half without traffic... almost 3 hours with atlanta traffic is crazy, never move here!!! XD
    Last edited by lolsavannahh; 07-30-2016 at 01:36 AM.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Blancaej (07-29-2016), Dragonlady2 (07-29-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update Savannah. Sad news about the Feather and Beak disease. You are wonderful for staying committed to helping.
    Hopefully, they will all find homes soon.

14. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-13-2016)

Banned

Beak and Feather Disease

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psittac...eather_disease
    Savannah be very careful when handling birds with this very contagious viral disease. You would not want to bring this to the pet store that you work at. Also to your Nash and your foster bird, .
    Please follow the link that I provided for reference , STRICT SANITARY PROTOCOL IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE

Savannah...if you haven't already done so, I urge you to familiarize yourself to this very Contagious Disease.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-29-2016 at 05:11 AM.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Blancaej (07-29-2016), Lady (07-30-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I definitely agree with Suzanne on this. I presumed that you all would have taken the necessary precautions regarding potential for transferring any disease before beginning rescue efforts?
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 07-29-2016 at 07:42 AM.

18. The following user likes this post:

Blancaej (07-29-2016)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    I agree with you both. Poor Savannah doesn't want to end up bringing disease home to her own fid or those at the pet store. Hope precautions were taken!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

20. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-29-2016), The Pinkertons (07-30-2016)