User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 400 birds seized from Georgia doctors home..

Banned

Maybe they have to go to a class before they can get the license or something? that sounds like a great idea.
    People need to be made accountable for their actions, and prove their commitment to a living creature. Hopefully this will come to pass. But at what cost of suffering must these helpless creatures endure.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-18-2016 at 06:55 PM.

2. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (07-18-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Although, in principal, I agree with some kind of licensing or Registration, I don't think in reality it would work without strict enforcement.

This doctor also had 8 dogs that he was not legally able to have on his property. No one followed up with that. In these hoarding situations, dogs, cats and birds etc....who follows and checks the bylaws with those people? This is all too common.

This is also a powerful situation for animal rights activists who seek to have no animal as pets. Registration and/or licensing is another step to restricted ownership....which I am not necessarily against. However, as mankind continues to poach, strip away forests and food sources for parrots/birds, we need to do all we can to ensure that species do not disappear. Ethical breeding and parrot ownership will play an important part. I do support a having a standard of care established as I am not sure there is one that is based on the safety, emotional and physical needs of parrots. Certainly, they require a different level of care that other domesticated animals don't.

I am guessing we are going to see a lot more of these situations come to light and I shudder to think about the plight of these poor birds, but I am also concerned about my right to have them in my home. Just my thoughts.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-18-2016), plax (07-18-2016)

Banned

I am guessing we are going to see a lot more of these situations come to light and I shudder to think about the plight of these poor birds, but I am also concerned about my right to have them in my home. Just my thoughts.
    Yes ,I agree it is complicated on many levels. Possibly one way of approaching this would be a more severe punishment on the individual perpetrator.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-18-2016)

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    Maybe enough enforcement may just be that you have to have the "license" card with you when purchasing from a breeder or rescue... That selling privately will be done at your own risk. I know that won't stop non licensed users to do it, but it may help! This would FORCE people do read up on these very time and money consuming creatures.
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

8. The following user likes this post:

The Pinkertons (07-18-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post

Yes ,I agree it is complicated on many levels. Possibly one way of approaching this would be a more severe punishment on the individual perpetrator.
    Absolutely agree that consequences need to be more severe. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people that end up in hoarding situations have some mental health issues. They start, but then continue and whatever need drives this, outweighs the threat of any consequence. I would like to see severe consequences for unethical breeders who know exactly what they are doing when they keep birds just to breed and sell, who don't care what conditions the birds live under....just as long as they keep producing babies.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-18-2016), plax (07-18-2016), The Pinkertons (07-18-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post

Absolutely agree that consequences need to be more severe. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people that end up in hoarding situations have some mental health issues. They start, but then continue and whatever need drives this, outweighs the threat of any consequence. I would like to see severe consequences for unethical breeders who know exactly what they are doing when they keep birds just to breed and sell, who don't care what conditions the birds live under....just as long as they keep producing babies.
    Many/ Not all... of these rescues/ breeders are actually hoarders , That have a demi-god delusional mental issue. and yes I completely agree about Hoarders I have Had that experience within my own family, It is a mental health issue .

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We have the freedom to control the lives of as many creatures as we choose.

With freedom comes responsibility
    We need to control the irresponsible whilst maintaining the freedom of those who act properly. So... a licence is a permit to act freely and should only be issued with consideration and prudence.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), lolsavannahh (07-19-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Banned

We need to control the irresponsible whilst maintaining the freedom of those who act properly. So... a licence is a permit to act freely and should only be issued with consideration and prudence.
    I agree, and as I stated earlier. There are many facets to this issue that need to be addressed, and a license is "one of the many solutions", a one size fits all approach, of course, is not a comprehensive means to and end, in this overwhelming plight of the Human condition . A proactive approach is the best course, in taking a " dent " out of this problem that plagues' the animals, that we share this planet with.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-19-2016 at 04:38 AM.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-19-2016), lolsavannahh (07-19-2016)

Parrots

Blue and Gold Macaw
    It is heartbreaking. From what I understand most of the hoarders start off with just one or two. People will drop off their unwanted and it blooms from there.

One hoarder said they would contact people on Craigs list offering to just take the bird. Most would say no but after they can't sell they would call the hoarder back telling them to just come take the bird.

If you listen to the News Reporter she stated there is a regulation in place they could only have three dogs on a lot that size . NOTHING in place saying how many Birds. RAID AT ATLANTA DOCTOR'S HOME: Hundreds of birds living in poor conditions seized from home | WSB-TV

Most rescues operate on donations. A few do not adopt birds out. I know there is one in NC that does not adopt out and they are growing. Relying on donations and free labor to build more outside Aviary for the birds and food donations. The birds stay outside all year. When asked they say the birds adapt to the weather. They cover the outside aviary with plastic. They are doing well now but what happens when/if Donations stop . The owner is left to care for these birds alone.

There are no regulations in place. No one wants to be told how many birds they can keep. If you start taking in dogs there are regulations in place. You are required to have a kennel permit. Should the same not be put in place for the protection of the Birds ? Don't attack the poster I am just asking a question. A lot of people would be placed in the regulation of having to have a Permit because of the number of birds they keep. I have two dogs and I am required to have a license for them. Tags. Shots . Are birds any less important ?

I only have one bird. Two years this coming October. I do not have the time or money to care for more than one . So I know my limit. Working a full time job there just is no time. BUT what if I were home all day . Who knows.

This is the 3rd time I have read about it in less than 30 days. Most of the posters are just saying I can take a few. Flippers come out in great numbers wanting " a few of the birds " . Birds are adopted out. People are happy. The situation went away. On to the next.

I am so glad to see this site talking about the situation. Most are ignoring it.

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-19-2016), Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Just a thought, but you could reach out to the local pet stores and see if they would be willing to donate some items like cages food etc.

Also, A&E cage company might be willing to donate....just some thoughts

Those poor birds, this is heartbreaking.

19. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)