User Tag List

Thread: Watermelon

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Watermelon

Hello all,

Does anyone give their birds watermelon? I tried it for the first time yesterday with Charlie and Peanut. It was a seedless watermelon but I thoroughly checked it and picked out any seeds. Then I cut it up and put it in the boys food bowls, Charlie loved it which I did not think he would, Peanut could have cared less about it.

What summertime fruits do your birds like?

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-15-2016), Lady (07-15-2016), Quakerella (04-16-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper loves watery fruits, he prefers them to actually drinking water. We have had to reduce the amount of pear he was eating, replacing it with cucumber because we were worried about the amount of sugar he was ingesting. He looks like a Zombie parrot after he has been eating a cherry.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 6 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-15-2016), Lady (07-15-2016), Mare (07-22-2016), mdg1109 (07-19-2016), Quakerella (04-16-2017), The Pinkertons (07-15-2016)

Banned

blackberries & blueberries , Cherries, I don't remove the pits, although there is a toxic warning, they really don't eat the pits, I've observed , more so just to forage through the cherries having fun taking out the pits and making a mess. Anyone here ever had lychees , they are safe for our birds, I anxiously await every July to stock-up on these tasty morsels, Bentley is picky he loves these. they freeze well, whole fresh fruit .take out of freezer pop eat. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	is.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	4361

Haven't tried watermelon,.
    Bella's blackberry face...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	4360
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-15-2016 at 07:27 PM.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-15-2016), Lady (07-15-2016), Mare (07-22-2016), mdg1109 (07-19-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I use a pile of fruit for my birds....blueberries, papaya, melon, Apple, mango, kiwi, grapes, strawberry, blackberries and raspberries, plums, pomegranate....I will freeze this. Occasionally, I try to give them pears, but none of them are particularly keen on it.

Maybe Peanut didn't like the texture? I also find that there are certain colours that some of my birds will not eat....my Sennie will not eat red food. My peachfront conure is the same...no red fruit. And they all like a little bit of orange.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Lady likes most fruit that I have given her so far, not a big fan of cantaloupe tho unless I'm not sharing with her then of course she wants some.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-19-2016), Mare (07-22-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Banned

Summer fruit

Today is a beautiful summer day in Southern California, not to hot , gentle breeze. The Pinkertons enjoying some Summer fruit. Lychees, Cherries, Blueberries & a blend of Harrisons High Potency Corse, Hemp seed and Kirkland's "Costco" organic shelled pine nuts. In their Outside Aviary taking in the lovely weather...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160718_103557.jpg 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	4403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160718_090840.jpg 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	4404

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-18-2016), mdg1109 (07-19-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Thanks everyone! Charlie loves the watermelon, loves apples, not a big fan of blueberries or strawberries. I will try they lychee's I have never actually had one so maybe I will try it to! Peanut is funny, if he doesn't like it he just picks it up and drops it out of the bowl.

I am going to vacuum seal the summer bounty and freeze it.

I too have heard about the toxic warning of the pits in fruit so I haven't tried Cherries.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2016), The Pinkertons (07-19-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I can hardly wait for the summer fruits to explode with their wonderful flavors and better prices. I like fresh so much more than the frozen and Lady does too. We've had quite a bit of kiwi this last month but the last batch took so long to ripen .

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-16-2017), kendrafitz (04-16-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Us as well, we eat a lot of fruit and veg in the summer. Friday was so beautiful here we started preparing the garden out back for planting. We have apple trees and plum trees, but lost our pear trees two years ago. I want to try grapes this year and would like to also plant a couple of cherry trees.

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-16-2017), kendrafitz (04-16-2017), Lady (04-16-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Sounds delicious