User Tag List

Thread: Surprised

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique

Surprised

So Peanut has settled right in and is doing well. I did do some reading about Caiques and I read that they can bit a bit of a bully which is surprising given their small nature. Peanut has started bullying Charlie, I do not quite know how to explain it, but he will snap at him and puff himself up to make himself look bigger. He is not doing it because he feels threatened he is doing is meanly. Charlie is a big baby and cowers and cries when Peanut does this and I am trying to figure out hows to get it to stop.

I was told using a stern voice and telling Peanut no would possibly work, but I am open to any suggestions. I am surprised because Charlie is so much bigger than Peanut and I thought that maybe Charlie would assert that he is in charge but I am not quite certain as to how the pecking order is established in flocks.

Thanks for any input.

Banned

It's the same with little dogs, going after big dogs. Ultimately when the bigger ones have had enough, and retaliate, it's a recipe for a tragic ending. My little grass parakeets dive bomb the cockatoos, in nature the smaller birds form large flocks to chase after the larger birds for their nesting and roosting site, I think it's its a genic imprint. Just something you have to supervise," YOUR THE LEADER OF THE FLOCK "

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-15-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I agree with Suzanne. Think of Peanut as a little child. His behaviour will need to be shaped and redirected by you. One approach would be to remove him from the situation, say no, and return him after a few minutes. If he is behaving appropriately, be sure to jump in and give praise and a treat.
    As a baby, he will testing his limits to see how far he can go, not unlike a toddler.

It may be that because of the size difference, they will have to be out separately or apart. The one thing I know about caiques is they are busy, busy, busy....it may be more than Charlie can deal with.

It's probably part of the adjustment period as well. They both have to get used to each other.

5. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-15-2016)