User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken bones..

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post

I am too nervous to give my birds chicken bones. I worry about the splinters.
    Thinking it through, parrots tend to split things apart to get at the content (pea pods, ball-point pens, that sort of thing), they don't just crunch the whole lot and gorge like dogs do. So I am going to say that chicken bones are unlikely to be swallowed but might be accidentally impaled on by a careless bird if not supervised.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-12-2016), Lady (07-16-2016), Mare (07-12-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    If any one of my birds were to impale themselves on a chicken bone..it would be the Sassy girl. She loves a bit of meat and gristle left on the bone, too..just in case you try this

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am going to see if my bigger birds will try this. I gave my Ekkie, almonds in the shell...I couldn't find the shell anywhere after he ate it, so my concern would be that he would also think the bone will be edible. Won't know until I try.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Birds are so stinkin' smart, I'm guessing you won't have an issue!

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-13-2016), Dragonlady2 (07-13-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    I haven't tried chicken bones with the birds yet, although the book Birds for Dummies does mention that some birds do like the bones, not only for marrow but for cracking them. The only protein I have given Charlie is scrambled eggs and almonds. I haven't tried those with Peanut yet although he hasn't met a food that he doesn't like.

I always feel guilty when I give Charlie scrambled eggs, like it is a form of cannibalism

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-13-2016), Mare (07-13-2016)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    She loves a bit of meat and gristle left on the bone, too..just in case you try this
    One health concern is that animal bones which have been contacted by the human oral cavity can serve as a vehicle to convey potentially harmful pathogens to our feathered friends (such as pasteurella). For this reason, it's best to cut the meat away from any bones offered to our birds.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-13-2016), Lady (07-16-2016), Mare (07-13-2016), The Pinkertons (07-13-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Michelle, I had the same thought when feeding my birds chicken eggs and bones. I learned that because they are a different species of bird, it's not cannibalism. Although..super gross thought!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-13-2016), mdg1109 (07-13-2016)

Parrots

Charlie-2 year old lesser sulphur crested citron cockatoo Peanut -1 year old White Bellied Caique
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Michelle, I had the same thought when feeding my birds chicken eggs and bones. I learned that because they are a different species of bird, it's not cannibalism. Although..super gross thought!
    Lol Mare, great minds think alike. That is the only reason why I give the eggs to Charlie is because I know they are different species but I still feel guilty.

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-13-2016)

Parrots

Magpies and seagulls are quite happy to feast on eggs they pinch from other bird's nests.

Parrots

Casper was out in the garden today on his branch in the Magnolia tree. He had a bit of a disappointment when a blackbird with a beak full of worms landed next to him and didn't offer him any. Margaret had to explain that the worms were for the baby blackbirds.