User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken bones..

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Chicken bones..

Does anyone feed their bird chicken bones? My Sassy girl LOVES them. I will buy chicken thighs, (that I also love), specifically for my Sassy girl..cooked, of course! Sassy likes to crack into the marrow of the bone. None of my other birds will accept this form of carnivorism.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-11-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I don't feed bones, but all of my birds will chow down on a piece of cooked chicken or turkey. They probably get some once a month.

Banned

Bentley loves chicken bones , actually they like to scoop-out the marrow. Folks tend to think birds only eat seed and vegetables, fruit., in nature they do eat protein, worms , bugs & other sources. Opportunistic Omnivores...

Other species =sourced from WIKIPEDEIA

Various birds are omnivorous, with diets varying from berries and nectar to insects, worms, fish, and small rodents. Examples include cassowaries, chickens, crows[48] and related corvids, keas, rallidae, and rheas. In addition, some lizards, turtles, fish (such as piranhas and catfish), and invertebrates are also omnivorous.

Quite often, mainly herbivorous creatures will eagerly eat small quantities of animal food when it becomes available. Although this is trivial most of the time, omnivorous or herbivorous birds, such as sparrows, often will feed their chicks insects while food is most needed for growth.[49] On close inspection it appears that nectar-feeding birds such as sunbirds rely on the ants and other insects that they find in flowers, not for a richer supply of protein, but for essential nutrients such as cyanocobalamin that are absent from nectar. Similarly, monkeys of many species eat maggoty fruit, sometimes in clear preference to sound fruit.[50] When to refer to such animals as omnivorous, or otherwise, is a question of context and emphasis, rather than of definition.

5. The following user likes this post:

Mare (07-12-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We haven't tried Casper on chicken bones yet but we did offer him some mealworms meant for the garden birds and he was not impressed.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 2 users like this post:

mdg1109 (07-13-2016), The Pinkertons (07-12-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    We haven't tried Casper on chicken bones yet but we did offer him some mealworms meant for the garden birds and he was not impressed.

I suspect that Casper would love a cooked chicken bone. I live with vegetarians/vegans..all around me! I know how good a juicy morsel is!

9. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (07-13-2016)

Banned

I suspect that Casper would love a cooked chicken bone. I live with vegetarians/vegans..all around me! I know how good a juicy morsel is!
    I thought you also ate chicken breast's ...according to your last post , you also enjoyed eating chicken breast !

11. The following user likes this post:

mdg1109 (07-13-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I will certainly give him one to try.
    Safety warning for dog owners (you probably know this already): chicken bones are not safe for dogs because the bones splinter and can get stuck in their throat.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 3 users like this post:

luckyandjenn (10-19-2016), Mare (07-12-2016), mdg1109 (07-13-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post

I thought you also ate chicken breast's ...according to your last post , you also enjoyed eating chicken breast !
    If you're talking to me, Suzanne..?..I eat everything. I've tried to be a vegetarian, even tried vegan, it wasn't happening

Nobility Member

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I will certainly give him one to try.
    Safety warning for dog owners (you probably know this already): chicken bones are not safe for dogs because the bones splinter and can get stuck in their throat.
    That's a good point, Jean-Pierre! Light years ago, I worked for a vet. We had a dog come in with an abscess near his butt hole. A chicken bone had pierced his intestine and was making it's way out!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I hear you Mare...I am a meat eater, and preferably barbecued.

I am too nervous to give my birds chicken bones. I worry about the splinters.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 07-12-2016 at 05:56 PM.

17. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-16-2016)