User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: transporting bamboo

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I must have had a different kind of bamboo. It spread from the main clump on underground runners? I'll have to check and see what kind it was.

I would love to grow some again. I'll have to check and see if our climate supports other varieties. Thanks for the info Suzanne.

Banned

Yes there's 2 different types of bamboo once a clumping bamboo that would be the tropical bamboo and then there's the running bamboo I think the running bamboo is more delicate and beautiful the clumping bamboo grows out from the main Clump very small the running will have a clump then run another clump

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Yes there's 2 different types of bamboo once a clumping bamboo that would be the tropical bamboo and then there's the running bamboo I think the running bamboo is more delicate and beautiful the clumping bamboo grows out from the main Clump very small the running will have a clump then run another clump
    I definitely had the running bamboo. I only had it for two years. I remember pulling out 3 foot runners with shoots all along the runners. Thank goodness I took it out when I did, it was spreading so fast.

Banned

Are you sure it wasn't wasn't Japanese knotweed. Because most running bamboos do not send up shoots along the runners until it stops and forms another clump. Bamboo generally is very hard to dig out even the running bamboo . black bamboo and the other varieties of running bamboo although they do spread generally don't take over in a couple years. You can grow bamboo in a pot, when it gets crowded just divide it.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-09-2016 at 08:20 PM.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-09-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by The Pinkertons View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't wasn't Japanese knotweed. Because most running bamboos do not send up shoots along the runners until it stops and forms another clump. Bamboo generally is very hard to dig out even the running bamboo . black bamboo and the other varieties of running bamboo although they do spread generally don't take over in a couple years. You can grow bamboo in a pot, when it gets crowded just divide it.
    It would have grown a clump at the shoot area. I just pulled it before it got to that point. I checked the knotweed and it definitely was not that.

I had no idea that there were so many different kinds of bamboo.

Banned

have you seen the golden & purple variety

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    All this bamboo interest had me do a search and I even saw some blue bamboo. It's called Bambusa Chungii from southern China.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-10-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    All this bamboo interest had me do a search and I even saw some blue bamboo. It's called Bambusa Chungii from southern China.
    OOOH! wow! I'll check it out

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    This is the web site I was looking at~ http://www.bamboo4u.com/index.html

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-10-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Too bad that I can't grow some of those varieties up here in Canada, they are beautiful.