User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transporting bamboo

Parrots

Lovebirds: Rio, Mango, , Boo , Pumpkin & Apples Parakeet / Budgies: Cotton & Lemon

transporting bamboo

Wingman wanted me to ask if anyone knows of a way he can transport bamboo to plant at our house without it going into shock and dying. He wants to plant it so he will have a supply for our birds.

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (07-08-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Do folks grow it locally? If so, go pluck some! It grows like weeds.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    if you have someone local, pull it out from the stalk and keep roots in tact. Wrap wet paper towels around the bottom root part, stick in plastic bag and replant in soft soil. Keep it watered, bamboo likes to be kept moist.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-08-2016), wingman (07-08-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I agree with Mare. I had bamboo in the yard and it is easy to transplant....harder to get rid of.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (07-08-2016), wingman (07-08-2016)

Parrots

1 blue peach-face lovebird named Rio 2 black masked yellow-green lovebirds named Gracie and Mango 1 Budgie blue with white clouds on breast named Cotton and 2 lovebirds named Boo and Pumpkin 1 new budgie female named Lemon
    Yes I have a friend who has green and black stock bamboo thr black is almost a deep purple!!!
    Should i use something like miricle grow or just rich potting soil???

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try two separate cuttings...one with the potting soil and the other with Miracle Grow. Just for insurance...

10. The following user likes this post:

wingman (07-08-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Ours are watered with..I think it's called grey water..?.. When we built our home, the water from the shower and sinks went to certain areas and these areas water the bamboo. Sewage definitely goes to a tank.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    If your birds are going to be near, eat or playing with the Bamboo, it might be a good idea to go organic with the soil.

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-09-2016)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Yes I have a friend who has green and black stock bamboo thr black is almost a deep purple!!!
    Should i use something like miricle grow or just rich potting soil???
    Rich potting soil is good. What you have to be careful with is mold growing in the soil because that can be the source for aspergillus. Whether it's organic or not. I have black bamboo growing and the large Timber bamboo.
    Last edited by The Pinkertons; 07-09-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by winglady View Post
    Wingman wanted me to ask if anyone knows of a way he can transport bamboo to plant at our house without it going into shock and dying. He wants to plant it so he will have a supply for our birds.
    when transplanting bamboo you need to get a about a foot diameter clump it's very matted they're shallow-rooted but they grow in a clump thick matted fashion once you take that out just put it in a pot with some potting soil it doesn't have to be anything fancy just potting soil and keep it in the shade until it takes root don't over-water too much. If you're putting up black bamboo it's more delicate than the Green Bamboo when it starts to grow it comes out green as the stock ages it turns black so keep that in mind when you're planting it black bamboo likes a dappled sunlight nothing intense all day Sun filtered Sun light.

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-09-2016)